Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #21

how many pounds of sand will make a 3"-4" sand bed?

would a layer of argonite covered with 20 lbs of tahitian moon sand work?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Not sure what that would look like.Also if you had some sifters they might mix the two.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #23

ok i will stick with one kind...if tomorrow i were to mix my salt water how long do i have before i need to add the live rock and sand?

Is it safe to keep an arrow crab?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #24
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

AS soon as you mix the salt with the water make sure your salinity is right and temp and then you can add the LR and sand. Arrow crabs do catch and kill small fish. Here is some info on them

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=1&item_id=28

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=616

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #25

I talked to the lady at the lfs and she said it wasnt a good idea to cycle my tank with a shrimp but said use hypo salinity for 2 weeks then bring it down and add 3 damsels...opinions?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_wolff
I talked to the lady at the lfs and she said it wasnt a good idea to cycle my tank with a shrimp but said use hypo salinity for 2 weeks then bring it down and add 3 damsels...opinions?
Using hypo to cycle a tank? That doesn't make much sense to me. Go with the raw/unseasoned shrimp. Much more cheaper and WAAAYYY more humane, than subjecting a live animal to sewage pit conditions. Remember, the LFS is in it to make money. We are here to help save lives and money.
Tell her ammonia is ammonia, no matter how it is introduced into the tank, ie: fish waste or rotting shrimp.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #27

she said something like shrimp will foul the water and that i will have to do a 100% water change to make it better. does the shrimp really do this?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If you use too many shrimp it could foul the water. That's way 1 raw shrimp per 30 gal is enough to cycle and more then that would foul the tank. You want your nh3 to rise around .5-3 ppm, any more then that could overload/foul the tank.

The lfs advice doesn't make any sense. sg levels lower then hypo could kill the fish and serves no purpose.

Hundreds of users here have used the shrimp method without fouling the tank. You should do a pwc once your cycle is done to get your no3 below 10 ppm but is still the best way to cycle a tank IMO. If you did you fish to cycle not only is it inhumane but it takes a little longer and doesn't build up a strong bacterial base.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Hundreds of users here have used the shrimp method without fouling the tank.
Count me as one of those hundreds... and I even "fouled" my tank and lived to tell about it!

I used one shrimp to cycle a 10g quarantine tank. Oops. Didn't realize what I'd done until my ammonia got up to about 6ppm and I wasn't seeing any increase in nitrites. No biggie - I just took the shrimp out and did a 50% water change, and after a couple days the nitrites started showing up. Everything cycled fine, and I've had two fish through it that can attest that it didn't "mess up" the tank.

Only issue I had is that my shrimp had been frozen and probably treated with something. My phosphates in my QT were really high after my cycle. But after the cycle was done, I just did several 50% water changes over the course of a couple days and threw in a Rowa phosphate sponge and things were OK.

As mentioned earlier, hyposalinity has NOTHING to do with cycling. It has to do with treating parasites. Cycling only deals with getting an ammonia source so your bacteria can build up to get rid of that ammonia. Whether it's fish poop, fish food, or a dead shrimp, it doesn't matter.

Go with the shrimp and find a new person to talk to at that fish store!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #30

is one shrimp enough for a 55 gal?

planning on getting substrate soon any reccomendations on what kind and where i get it?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com