what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have my 55 gal aquarium with lights, heater, and stand what do i need to do next?(need lots of help)

do you have test kits, salt, hydromiter (or even better refractometer). water dechlorinizer? subtrate? all things you need to start! :D HTH

ya just make a check list: dechlor, fish food, plants, decorations, gravel vac, surge protector for all the accesories, fish net, i cant think of what else right now.

is there a website that tells you ALL the things you need?

do i NEED a cover? i will have snails and crabs. will they be able to get out? how do you fit on an overflow if theres a cover??

thanks!

What type of light? what type of heater?
Basic start up you'll need a salt water master test kit, salt, a hydrometer or refractometer, substrate (sand or crushed coral), base rock, 2 ph and a raw unseasoned shrimp from the super market.
Put the rock and substrate in tank, mix your salt water and add to tank. Place the ph at opposite ends of tank facing each other, plug them in. Plug in your heat. Drop the shrimp in the water. Now you have 6-8 weeks to find out all the rest of the thing you need and want. Such as protein skimmer.

I recommend two books
The new marine aquarium by Micheal Paletta. The conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.

im not sure what type of light they came with the aquarium i bought..it says" feng H206W" does that mean 206 watts? theres two of those but the cover that goes with them leaves no room for an overflow...??

i have the conscientious marine aquarist but havent quit finished lol mayb read 20 pages:)

Page 31 is where the real details start.
I started with Paletta (much shorter book) which has an outline and a timeline for setiing up tank.
What does it say on the light bulbs?

the bulbs say..."aquarium Preheat Hg" then on the other end of the bulb theres the number 20

The first thing you`ll need to do is get your tank running and start your cycle.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

You will then have several weeks to think about what type SW tank you want and get the equipement you need and be able to research it. One thing I would suggest is a RO/DI unit or a place to get water from one like your LFS or Walmart. Tap water is not recommended and esp if you go reef. You do not need covers or special lighting yet.

where do you reccomaned to get salt, substrate, base rock, and live rock?

are covers an optional thing or they required for clown fish?

Yes they are optional but I dont recommend them because IMO they limit gas exchange in your tank and cause low PH in the tank. Alot of people use egg crate. Clowns are usually not jumpers.

Is there a sand substrate that isnt live but can by "seeded(?)" IF so what website would you reccomend to get it from?

Back
Top Bottom