What next? New 75 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
I I have just started a 75 gal saltwater tank. So far I have about 20lbs base rock and 10 pounds live rock. I also have a pajama cardinal and a scooter Blenny (I know, shouldnt have him yet but he eats mysis shrimp like a champ). What do I do now? Ammonia levels are still at zero. Can I add more fish? More live rock? A coral it shrimp or anything? Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3226894528.jpg
    image-3226894528.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 100
You need like 40 more lbs of base rock or LR (if you add very slowly) before anything else. The rock is the main filtration.
Your tank is cycled right? Technically you should've had all the rock in and let it cycle before adding fish. But you'll need 1-2 lbs rock per gallon. Then you can add a clean up crew. And or fish. But add slowly. I wouldn't recommend fragile inverts or any coral that isn't really hardy until after you've added most of your fish and your parameters are staying stable.

Don't add any more fish, you will need more rock, 1-2 lbs per gallon, I would wait at least a month before you put another fish in, a couple hermit crabs can be put in after 2-3 weeks I would say. With the fish in there the ammonia will come, keep an eye on it though, may have to do some partial water changes to keep it from killing the fish. I am doing a nano now and I am doing. No fish, did it all with dead rock and about a cup of sand from another tank. Patients will be a must with this, sw fish are more temperamental then fresh. You will also need a protein skimmer before long unless u do weekly water changes religiously.

Are you cycled? What are your levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? You can add more rock if you want to, but you're not required to. If you like that amount of rock, you're fine. For fish only tanks, some people don't have any rock. If you're doing a reef tank, then yeah, you're gonna want more rock. But if you're cycled, add base rock, not live, or you might have another cycle from the die off.

I'm cycled. Getting a protein skimmer this weekend. Also going to grab more base rock too. So I guess I'll wait a bit to put other things in. Any suggestions on the best fish for beginners? We def want a pair of clowns.... Hubby wants snowflake clowns... I want Picasso perculas. Suggestions? We are going to do SOME corals eventually but more of a fish tank than a reef tank.

AbsoluteFaye said:
I'm cycled. Getting a protein skimmer this weekend. Also going to grab more base rock too. So I guess I'll wait a bit to put other things in. Any suggestions on the best fish for beginners? We def want a pair of clowns.... Hubby wants snowflake clowns... I want Picasso perculas. Suggestions? We are going to do SOME corals eventually but more of a fish tank than a reef tank.

If your cycled then adding baserock wont change parameters so your fine there and you can add fish one at a time every couple weeks or so and you can add small cuc now as well as you get more fish add more cuc

Sorry, ignore me, I thought you was still I cycled, miss understood the post

Snowflake clowns and Picasso perculas are very expensive ($200-500+ depends), so that would be a big investment, and if they did die, well that would be tragic and a waste of money. :( I'd recommend waiting until you know FOR SURE that your system is completely stable before buying expensive fish. (* the more white on the clownfish, usually the more $)

Thanks for the advice everyone! My friend works at Petco and they are selling snowflake clowns (over one inch) for $39.99 each. I guess I didn't realize that was such a good price!! Lol. But we might just get true perculas anyway now that we've talked about it more.

Wow what a deal! The fish at Petco, at least in my experience, have been very poorly cared for, so if it was me I wouldn't buy any livestock from there...unless your friend knows more about the husbandry of the fish/inverts. If nothing else and you still want to buy from them, don't hesitate to ask if they can put some food in there to see if the fish eat (good indication that they are happy and not stressed :) ). Also it might be good to ask other questions and check for ich/other parasites. You wouldn't want a fish getting sick and dying and spreading the illness to your other fish!

I appreciate the info! Luckily my friend has years of saltwater experience and because of him this particular petco has an extra large saltwater section. It's huge. They even go as far as having an angler. He's awesome looking. They even have two really large coral sections. I'm fortunate to have him work there!

Awesome! (y) It depends on the Petco and the employees that work there that "make or break it." :lol: Lucky you, having a friend who enjoys the hobby..and an extra resource too haha.

Yeah I trust what he says BUT I joined the forum for other suggestions and experiences. I really want my tank to survive. Any suggestions on a protein skimmer under $200?

I trust him BUT I joined this forum for other suggestions and experiences so I can get as much info as possible. Also while I'm here, any suggestions on a good protein skimmer? Preferably under $200?

I trust him but I need all the info/experiences I can get. Speaking of suggestions, best protein skimmer for around $200?

AbsoluteFaye said:
Hahaha. Posted 3 times. Kept telling me "error" lol

Not sure on prices but i love my reef octopus mines huge but i know they make several smaller ones i have heard good things about eshoppes

Back
Top Bottom