Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What next? New 75 gallon Tank

I I have just started a 75 gal saltwater tank. So far I have about 20lbs base rock and 10 pounds live rock. I also have a pajama cardinal and a scooter Blenny (I know, shouldnt have him yet but he eats mysis shrimp like a champ). What do I do now? Ammonia levels are still at zero. Can I add more fish? More live rock? A coral it shrimp or anything? Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3226894528.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	119565  

Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need like 40 more lbs of base rock or LR (if you add very slowly) before anything else. The rock is the main filtration.
Your tank is cycled right? Technically you should've had all the rock in and let it cycle before adding fish. But you'll need 1-2 lbs rock per gallon. Then you can add a clean up crew. And or fish. But add slowly. I wouldn't recommend fragile inverts or any coral that isn't really hardy until after you've added most of your fish and your parameters are staying stable.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Don't add any more fish, you will need more rock, 1-2 lbs per gallon, I would wait at least a month before you put another fish in, a couple hermit crabs can be put in after 2-3 weeks I would say. With the fish in there the ammonia will come, keep an eye on it though, may have to do some partial water changes to keep it from killing the fish. I am doing a nano now and I am doing. No fish, did it all with dead rock and about a cup of sand from another tank. Patients will be a must with this, sw fish are more temperamental then fresh. You will also need a protein skimmer before long unless u do weekly water changes religiously.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you cycled? What are your levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? You can add more rock if you want to, but you're not required to. If you like that amount of rock, you're fine. For fish only tanks, some people don't have any rock. If you're doing a reef tank, then yeah, you're gonna want more rock. But if you're cycled, add base rock, not live, or you might have another cycle from the die off.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm cycled. Getting a protein skimmer this weekend. Also going to grab more base rock too. So I guess I'll wait a bit to put other things in. Any suggestions on the best fish for beginners? We def want a pair of clowns.... Hubby wants snowflake clowns... I want Picasso perculas. Suggestions? We are going to do SOME corals eventually but more of a fish tank than a reef tank.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye
I'm cycled. Getting a protein skimmer this weekend. Also going to grab more base rock too. So I guess I'll wait a bit to put other things in. Any suggestions on the best fish for beginners? We def want a pair of clowns.... Hubby wants snowflake clowns... I want Picasso perculas. Suggestions? We are going to do SOME corals eventually but more of a fish tank than a reef tank.
If your cycled then adding baserock wont change parameters so your fine there and you can add fish one at a time every couple weeks or so and you can add small cuc now as well as you get more fish add more cuc
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Sorry, ignore me, I thought you was still I cycled, miss understood the post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

Not cycled*
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snowflake clowns and Picasso perculas are very expensive ($200-500+ depends), so that would be a big investment, and if they did die, well that would be tragic and a waste of money. I'd recommend waiting until you know FOR SURE that your system is completely stable before buying expensive fish. (* the more white on the clownfish, usually the more $)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the advice everyone! My friend works at Petco and they are selling snowflake clowns (over one inch) for $39.99 each. I guess I didn't realize that was such a good price!! Lol. But we might just get true perculas anyway now that we've talked about it more.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, 75 gallon tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com