What next? When am I ready for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank specs from sig:

*15H marine*
12# Live Rock
15x Snails (9x Nassarius // 4x Astrea // 2x Black Turbo)
8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1x Emerald Crab
1x LTA
// Aquaclear Surface Skimmer // Aquaclear 300 (PhosGuard + Purigen) // Mini-Jet 404 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC

My tank is a bit over two months old from a new setup. It is fully cycled, water paremeters are fine (ph 8.1 to 8.2, ates <10, dkh ~10). I slowly added to my clean up crew to the point where it is now. The tank is fairly clean, the clean up crew is doing it job except for a couple small patches of greenish algae I am trying to clear up by moving my powerhead a bit. Water parameters and salinity have been stable, I do water top off with distilled water and Kalk every other night, and water changes once a week with Instant Ocean, though i recently switch to Tropic Marin. I ended up with a small Long Tentacle Anemone last week and that is doing OK too, I fed it some squid once and it ate it right up. The LTA will need to find a new home at some point, but that is another issue because my wife picked out the LTA... Last night I removed the sponge from my filter and replaced it with a bag of PhosGuard. The sponge was turning into an Amphipod graveyard and waste trap.

So, with the clean up crew in place, Anemone doing OK so far, and tank fully cycled, what do I do now? Eventually, I want two tank raised Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp, and maybe a Royal Gramma (but probably not). Here are some options I am considering, in no particular order:

1) Get a protein skimmer in place. If the LTA were to die, it could nuke my whole tank 8O Protein skimmer could help prevent this by pulling the dead LTA organics out of the water. The skimmer would obviously help other things as well.

2) Get more live rock, cure it in a bucket for a few weeks, add it to the tank. This would help with bio filtering, give the clean up crew more places to hide, make the tank look better, and increase the bio diversity in the tank.

3) Turn the AC300 into a fuge. This would help with nutrient export, and I already have the AC300. I could combine this with step #1 as well, however I do not want to make too many changes at once.

4) Sit and wait for another week or two. Watch everything in the tank and make sure there are not hidden problems. This is what I have been doing for a while. Possibly this would involve some additional clean up critters if needed.

5) Get fish! There are some nice Tank Raised Ocellaris Clowns at the LFS looking nice. I am not in a hurry to rush anything though.

Thoughts? Ideas? :)

I think you may have added the LTA a bit prematurely. The fish are much hardier than the anemone. I would say you are definately ready for the clowns! You may have issues with the anemone down the road (i hope you don't) but with a new tank the water parameters are bound to fluxuate a bit which is very harmful to the anemone. Keep an eye on it, if it dies, remove it form the tank so it doesn't pollute the water. But you are definately ready for the fish. Others will likely chime in with more info...........

At the first sign of any trouble, the LTA is gone from the tank. I am not too pleased with it in there, but luckily it has been doing very well.

//begin LTA story//

This whole tank started when my father in law bought my wife and I a 25 inch framed giclee print of this painting:

http://www.janhahn-marineart.com/painting5.html

Just three Clownfish in an Anemone, but it was inspirational and got the whole marine tank idea going. The print was over $300, so it needs to get a lot of face time on the wall directly above the tank :p My wife's eye lit up when she saw a similar looking Anemone at a LFS for $11. We had planned to get fish to match the picture, getting an Anemone to match the picture was a bonus. I was like, "Well, that is a bad idea for our tank because XZY..." It was pitched as a "starter Anemone" to my wife and she really wanted it even though it could die or will very likely get to big regardless of what I said.

//end LTA story//

Since you already got the anemone you might want to have a higher survival by anemone proofing your intakes on powerheads, filters, skimmers so the LTA doesn't wander to close and get sucked in and turned to anemone juice.

Try to resist adding any fish too soon because the your tanks bio-load just increased with the addition of the anemone, give your tank a few weeks to catch up to be able to process the additional waste.

I can use the AquaClear sponge I just removed from the tank to cover up the filter intake, thanks for the tip. The AC300 intake does move a good deal of water so it could be a hazard.

Any idea how much flow is needed to suck in an Anemone? My powerheads are 100 gph each and barely have any flow going through them. Cover these anyway?

I covered all of my intakes with cut up pieces of a filter sponge. I moved the heater off the bottom of the tank too. There should be no way the anemone can get it into trouble now. I hope :D

The three sponges do make the tank look rather bad, but it is OK for now to prevent disaster. I am going to redo my powerheads with a closed loop SCWD to clean up the inside of the tank. I did some searching around after looking at your sig and a few other posts. I put a SCWD and Mag 5 on my XMas list :)

Before then, I am going to try an Excalibur skimmer. Only $109 with surface skimmer intake and a bubble box. Should work fairly well on a small tank for a while. I might get a Remora, depends on what I find out after some research.

My tank gets more ugly the more I do to it :roll: :p

1551sponges.jpg

That is with just the actinic bulb going...

I really need:

1) More live rock
2) Less equipment in the tank

Going to a protein skimmer and closed loop will clear up the issue of having too much in the tank. I need to go check out a LFS an hour from my house that has LR for $5/pound to get some filler for the tank.

Sweet. Christmas is around the corner.

I'm really glad I got the scwd because my corals seem to like it the alternating flow.

AquaC is coming out with a Remora skimmer made for nano tanks soon. I would email AquaC if your interested.

There are many different ways to setup a closed loop scwd. I used pvc as the main building material but others have used primarly braided hosing which is a lot cheaper and less complicated.

This guy used braided hosing for his closed loop scwd.
img_283804_0_d23a0c6664bf1e418827ccfe21cb3673.jpg

I sent an email off to AquaC regarding their upcoming skimmer(s) and never got a reply :(

Anyway, how is that Mag5 working out for you klam? Is the flow too much, or does the piping and SCWD make it perfect?

Mag5 works for me because I used ball valves on the returns which i can adjust to control the flow.

Ok, I was planning to use ball valves anyway so that should work great for me. I was planning to use the ball valves as shut offs, was not sure if limitng the flow full time would cause an issue with the pump. Any pics of your closed loop? I am planning a full PVC set going around a skimmer. Very similar to this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I am going with full black PVC as well...

I used melev's instruction also with some mods so it would work with my tank. So far I haven't run into any issues with the pump using the ball valves as flow restrictors. A reason that mags are popular with the scwd is because of it's ability to handle the back pressure that the scwd produces.

Here is my setup
img_287358_0_c0300938dfc8e1b327db3f49afcf36bb.jpg

img_287358_1_548cc7b028632670abaa2ee61c495dfa.jpg

Your setup is almost exactly what I would do if I could start my tank all over again, nice work :D Looking at your setup, I hope I have enough room for my skimmer and an AquaClear Mini filter on the back of the tank once I setup the closed loop.

Thanks.
I'm not sure on how long a 15H tank is but my tank measures 20" long and I had a few inches to spare.

I have a skimmer running, added more cured LR, and added a bit more snails to the clean up crew. Getting fish now is just a matter of going to the LFS :)

Back
Top Bottom