What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICH305

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 40 pounds of rock live sand it's a 84gallon tank two damsels and about 15 little crabs I had these fish and crabs in the tank about a week

Are you currently cycling your tank? How long have you had it running before you put fish in there.

Well I ran the tank alone with just rock for about a week .Then I got the water tested and the man at the store told me the water was good for two damsels and crabs I had them in the water for about a week now how long do I wait before I can do n e thing else?

I woul d def get an api test kit. No strips, the actual liquid one with test tubes. Under $30 in the stores and like $20 online. The fish store has no interest in your fish, just the money you will spend on new fish when yours die. Sad but true fact usually

Well yea I guess that is true I will go out and buy these test kits and I'm guessing that the box will have the levels that I have to have the stuff at

Just get the test kit and you can ask right here. :) This is a very helpful forum take advantage of all the knowledge around here.

Get some more live rock like fifty pounds before going any further would be the best place to start your tank is still way to new for inverts be carefull what you believe from lfs remember they are there to sell you stuff..

Your levels may be ok at the moment since your tank is so new. But as it cycles you will get a big ammonia spike which can harm your fish. Please keep an eye on parameters daily. And get prepared for water changes. Possibly daily water changes.

Have you guys ever heard of a product called prime?

Well how can I tell if my tank has cycled I has the fish in for about a week and they are not dead yet?

Yes I use prime to treat my water since I do not have ro di yet.

Since you dont have a test kit yet you dont know how much they could be suffering. Ammonia poisoning is an ugly thing to get. You will prob have to do alot of water changes. It can be done, cycling with fish and crabs but you may lose a few.

Depending on tank size and amount of live rock it can take a month. But no two tanks are created equal

Also, LOL, if you are using tap water please test it. Mine has nasty things in it so I have to buy RO water for my sw tank

That may get extremly expensive getting water for an 80 gallon tank from the fish store you should look into ro di unit.

It's not that bad it's only 50cents a gallon I guess how much is the one you guys use?

Back
Top Bottom