What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok everyone,
As most of you know I'm in the process of cycling my tank. Its been ping for 1week and 4 days. My ammonia spiked 4 days ago and tonight I checked my levels and the ammonia is almost gone but the nitrite is still at 5 ppm. Is it slowly going to go down or will I need to help it?

I believe you are extremely close:):) the process goes ammonia<nitrates<nitrites. The fact that your amm. Spiked and has almost disappeared and you are showing trites, means you're converting ammo to trates and trates to trites :) what is your ammo reading exactly?

negligent_inmate said:
I believe you are extremely close:):) the process goes ammonia<nitrates<nitrites. The fact that your amm. Spiked and has almost disappeared and you are showing trites, means you're converting ammo to trates and trates to trites :) what is your ammo reading exactly?

Its just like .125 ppm. I thought it was amm>trites>trates?

I'm sooo sorry, its been a long day, you are correct. Either way you are close I believe

you are close is your ammo 1.25ppm or .125? either way id dose up to 2-4ppm and you should see trite conversion shortly i believe

A tell tale sign of a cycled tank is you should be able to dose up to 4 ppm and within 24hrs be back at 0. So obviously if you dose up like wolfpack advised, I'd test again early tomorrow and then tomorrow evening. If you're cycled, you should be back at 0 ammo tm night

Well I checked my levels today and ammonia is almost gone but nitrite is still high. The nitrite has been the same for a few days yet the ammonia has been going down... The buried is still like 2 or 3. Is it suppose to take awhile for it to go down?

hackteck said:
yes they will go down to 0 and your nitrate will remain

Well I just think it strange that my ammonia has gone but my nitrites have stayed the same for the passes 4-5 days...

well ammonia goes to nitrite and nitrite turns to nitrate but sometimes it takes a week or two for the nitrite cycle to end

hackteck said:
well ammonia goes to nitrite and nitrite turns to nitrate but sometimes it takes a week or two for the nitrite cycle to end

Ok. I guess I'm being a little impatient...

Back
Top Bottom