What other test kits should I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon tank that has been running for about a month now. I have 3 snails, 3 hermits, and just purchased two peppermint shrimp. I read that the shrimp need iodine for proper molting. Actually, one of my shrimp has already molted! I, of course, have a test kit for ammonia, pH, ites, and ates. Should I also get test kits for alkalinity, calcium, phosphate, and copper? What about the iodine?

TIA! :B-fly:

BlueDolphin said:
I read that the shrimp need iodine for proper molting.
This is actually misleading. Shrimp may need iodine to promote proper shell developement and aid in moulting but the addition of liq iodine is not needed. Iodine is sorbed by the animals though foods, not the water.

I, of course, have a test kit for ammonia, pH, ites, and ates. Should I also get test kits for alkalinity, calcium, phosphate, and copper? What about the iodine?
Depends on the eventual set up but my prefernece no matter what the tank is to become would always be sure the chem is in order. It can prevent many related problems. You can purchase the copper and PO4 tests but personally I find they are used so rarely, it can be a waste. If your LFS is generous enough to test these two for you I wouldn't bother. If/when you ever need to use copper as a treatment, then I would definately suggest a proper kit for the type of copper used.

If you intend to add iodine then definately buy the kit. Keep in mind though it will not test for free iodine which can often lead to overdosing. I would still suggest regular water changes instead though. Much safer :wink:

Cheers
Steve

(y) Thanks, Steve. I guess I won't go ahead and buy any more of the test kits, unless (like you said) I would ever need to do a copper treatment or anything.

Thanks again!

Just to clarify, I did not mean the alk/ca. I think everyone should have those at least. BTW, If this is to be a reef tank, I would also suggest an Mg test kit.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve! I was looking to get more of the Fastest test kits because those are the ones I already have and I like them. But, I couldn't find an Mg Fastest Test Kit. Do you know of a good brand? :D

I think you will find that once you start in with the finer points of reef chemistry, the Fastest will not be all that accurate. The basic tests should be fine with that though. For Alk, Ca or Mg I would suggest Salifert, Seachem or La Motte.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom