Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2003, 07:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What protein skimmer should I use with the Berlin Method?

Ok,
I am setting up my reef tank this week.
I got the lighting retrofit set up, I have the stand completed and I am ready to go. (I have been sweating doing this and decided to jump right in the ocean so to speak) I found a screaming deal on live rock, $1.60 a pound, so now I can afford to do it.

What I need to know is what should I use for a protein skimmer? I am leaning towards an Aqua C Remora with the surface skimmer (from the AA sponsor) Would that work on a 120? Any other picks? Anyone know what the diff is between the Remora and the Urchin?

I am pretty scared of setting this up, but I know I will get through it with all of your help!

Thanks,
Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I think even an AquaC remora pro is a tad small for a 120g reef tank, I might use them for a FO tank, but not my reef. On that size tank, I would look at a larger AquaC in sump skimmer or a Euroreef skimmer.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im trying to find something that is hang on tank, or that can sit under it as I plan on doing the berlin method and wont be using a sump.
Zero

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
Old 11-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

countzero, where did you find that deal on live rock. if you don't mind me asking?

mark
Old 11-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountZero
I plan on doing the berlin method and wont be using a sump.
If available in your area, you might want to look into a Tunze skimmer then. The Tunze 0230/3 is rated up to 300 gal and can be used as a "hang on" model. Tunze is an excellent product and if you are going to have a reef using the berlin method, a skimmer is something not to skimp on...

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #6

I would stick with an aqua c remora pro. It should handle the 120 ok. You may want to do the mag 3 pump upgrade though! I have a freind who has one on a 110 and it does a good job. I would incorporate a deep sand bed also. The remora hangs on the tank and the urchin is an in sump model.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio reefer
countzero, where did you find that deal on live rock. if you don't mind me asking?

mark
www.etropicals.com is having a sale thru thursday on fiji live rock! I just ordered 120#'s of it and the total was $334.80 delivered! That is by far the best price I have ever found! I have been searching for a deal on it for weeks. Wish I could of found a deal on sand in the area though.... I am headed into reno now to pick up the sand and get the tank filled and ready for the rock when it shows up on thursday.

I will be using the deep sand bed as well and getting some critters to cruise through it to clean it up. I was hoping to keep the skimmer under 150-200 bucks, as I am rapidly running out of money

Old 11-16-2003, 08:41 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
My thoughts are that the Remora Pro with the Mag 3 would be the absolute least skimmer you'd want on that size tank. I wouldn't even think about it without the surface skimmer either. Red Sea makes a HOB version of the Berlin that would probably do a good job...I'd use a Mag 7 pump on it. I'm using a Berlin on a 180 reef (in the sump) and it's doing a pretty good job so far. I'd probably shy away from the Turbo model though as the pumps seem to give some trouble. JMHO.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Turboflotor also makes a HOB skimmer

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #10

The turboflotor hangon is another excellent skimmer. It is a little out of his prefered price range though. I sell them for $239.99.

Tags
method, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com