Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What protein skimmer to use?

OK. So I decided to ditch the built in wet/dry system in my tank and go with LR and LS for filtration. However, I do not know what kind of protein skimmer to go with. If it helps, here are some pics of the tank I want to start up. Hang on? In sump? Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a hole on this side of the tank, which I think would be a slot for the protein skimmer. The vertical slot is sealed up with acrylic so there isnt really a space there. The black dotted compartment is where the bio balls are.
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish003.jpg

This is the the other end of the tank. It has two empty compartments and where the overflow slots are.
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish004.jpg
Front view of tank. 40 gallons. 36"x15"x16"
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish005.jpg

Old 08-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

go with the best ya can afford ! and a sump model would be best !!

Old 08-21-2004, 04:20 AM   #3

What does everyone think about the Seaclone 100?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

not a good choice ! go with at the very least one of these

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/index.asp#

the aqua-c remora
Old 08-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #5

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would also suggest an Aqua C Remora.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 PM   #7

i have a cpr dual back pak on my tank and it hasn't done me wrong. running for 1 1/2 year just general cleaning no problems. just throwing that out there, many don't agree.

72 gal bow front. cpr dual bak pak skimmer, 20 gal sump, approx 85lbs LR, 260watt power compact, two moonlight leds, (2)65w actinic, (2)65w 10k, 2 fire shrimp, 47 hermit crabs, 80 snails, peppermint shrimp, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 Oce clownfish, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel, lyretail anthias, 3 feather dusters, magnificent anemone, candy coral, yellow cucumber, 2 pulsing xenia, torch coral, mushrooms, condy anemone
SALTY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #8

If I don't put in 1.5 lbs. of LR per gallon in my tank and dont use a filter, would a protein skimmer handle the filtration? At first I was planning on having about 20lbs. LR, LS, tetratec 300pf with heater, and a protein skimmer, but appears the tetratec wont fit in the area i wanted it to in my tank. So I'm wondering if the protein skimmer can handle the filtration without the tetratec?
Old 08-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to mr_tee0419
The protein skimmer will pick up pieces of protein and other wastes in your water that you couldn't scoop out with a net. However, it will not pick up large pieces of waste material. Both forms of filtration are pretty much neccessary. I suggest a canister filter. The cascade series is pretty inexpensive and have been reliable for me. Here is a link to the cheapest place I could find them http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/peplcafi.html .
Old 08-22-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_tee0419
However, it will not pick up large pieces of waste material. Both forms of filtration are pretty much neccessary. I suggest a canister filter.
I disagree with the above statement. IMO, both forms of filtration are not necessary. This is not to say that you can't run a canister or HOB filter and still have a successful tank...many folks do. Once the filter becomes bioactive though, it will start churning out nitrates which will fuel unwanted algae growth. In a reef tank, the larger pieces of waste are taken care of by your clean up crew...a collection of detrivores ranging from tiny pods to snails and conches. Even if you don't have a DSB, you will still get some nitrate control in the inner areas of the LR. The power filter is highly aerated and the bacteria that converts nitrates cannot live in there. If you do run a power filter of any kind on this tank, I would suggest using it for circulation only and not running any media in it. You can use it occasionally for activated carbon if you see the need, but remove it before it has time to develop an active bacterial colony. If it were my tank, I would stick with plenty of LR and a high quality skimmer. I believe you mentioned that your tank had a built in wet/dry? You can continue to run this with no media for extra circulation if you want. You could even use a sponge in it as a prefilter as long as you rinse it regularly in tap water. This will keep bacterial activity in the sponge to a minimum. JMHO.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com