What protein skimmer to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poriceboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK. So I decided to ditch the built in wet/dry system in my tank and go with LR and LS for filtration. However, I do not know what kind of protein skimmer to go with. If it helps, here are some pics of the tank I want to start up. Hang on? In sump? Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a hole on this side of the tank, which I think would be a slot for the protein skimmer. The vertical slot is sealed up with acrylic so there isnt really a space there. The black dotted compartment is where the bio balls are.
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish003.jpg

This is the the other end of the tank. It has two empty compartments and where the overflow slots are.
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish004.jpg
Front view of tank. 40 gallons. 36"x15"x16"
http://home.comcast.net/~juicy/fish005.jpg

i have a cpr dual back pak on my tank and it hasn't done me wrong. running for 1 1/2 year just general cleaning no problems. just throwing that out there, many don't agree. :D

If I don't put in 1.5 lbs. of LR per gallon in my tank and dont use a filter, would a protein skimmer handle the filtration? At first I was planning on having about 20lbs. LR, LS, tetratec 300pf with heater, and a protein skimmer, but appears the tetratec wont fit in the area i wanted it to in my tank. So I'm wondering if the protein skimmer can handle the filtration without the tetratec?

The protein skimmer will pick up pieces of protein and other wastes in your water that you couldn't scoop out with a net. However, it will not pick up large pieces of waste material. Both forms of filtration are pretty much neccessary. I suggest a canister filter. The cascade series is pretty inexpensive and have been reliable for me. Here is a link to the cheapest place I could find them http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/peplcafi.html .

mr_tee0419 said:
However, it will not pick up large pieces of waste material. Both forms of filtration are pretty much neccessary. I suggest a canister filter.

I disagree with the above statement. IMO, both forms of filtration are not necessary. This is not to say that you can't run a canister or HOB filter and still have a successful tank...many folks do. Once the filter becomes bioactive though, it will start churning out nitrates which will fuel unwanted algae growth. In a reef tank, the larger pieces of waste are taken care of by your clean up crew...a collection of detrivores ranging from tiny pods to snails and conches. Even if you don't have a DSB, you will still get some nitrate control in the inner areas of the LR. The power filter is highly aerated and the bacteria that converts nitrates cannot live in there. If you do run a power filter of any kind on this tank, I would suggest using it for circulation only and not running any media in it. You can use it occasionally for activated carbon if you see the need, but remove it before it has time to develop an active bacterial colony. If it were my tank, I would stick with plenty of LR and a high quality skimmer. I believe you mentioned that your tank had a built in wet/dry? You can continue to run this with no media for extra circulation if you want. You could even use a sponge in it as a prefilter as long as you rinse it regularly in tap water. This will keep bacterial activity in the sponge to a minimum. JMHO.

OK, so here's the setup I'm thinking about.

40 gallon acrylic
Heater
Light
DSB w/ LS
20 lbs. LR
Decent skimmer (possibly the Berlin Classic)

Would it be better to use a canister filter or a couple powerheads for water movement?

Of course, suggestions always welcome. :D

I'd suggest more LR. I'm no expert, but with only half pound per gallon, you're looking at a VERY light stocking...a couple of small fish and some clean up crew.

Take a look at my 40g SW tank link in my sig...that photo shows 50lbs of LR, and I just added another 10lbs yesterday...and it looks good now.

I would recomend against a red sea skimmer. THey are notorius for impellars breaking.

If you got a good skimmer like the Aqua C remora you would not need a canister filter. THe skimmer will remove solids from the water . I would also increase the LR a little more than 20LBS. At least 40LBS.

I would also stick with a 1-2" sand bed over the 4" DSB. There have been alot of DSB problems reported lately my self included.

For powerheads use some maxi jet 1200's or 900's.

poriceboy said:
OK, so here's the setup I'm thinking about.

40 gallon acrylic

That's fine. Beware that acrylic tanks scratch easily...other than that, they
re great.

I would go with a Won Pro Heat. Although they are a bit more expensive, IMO they're worth it.

What type lighting did you have in mind? More to the point, what types of corals would you like to keep in this tank?

DSB[/acronym] w/ LS

Beware of the possible problems you may encounter with these in the future. While I haven't had any problems with mine, many folks have had serious trouble with DSB's after several years of operation. I'd do lots of research before adding one.

20 lbs. LR

I'd go with about 60 lbs.

Decent skimmer (possibly the Berlin Classic)

Nothing wrong with the Classic...I'd stay away from the Turbos. I think you'd get better long term performance from an Aqua C Remora or, if you will have a sump, an Aqua C Urchin.

Would it be better to use a canister filter or a couple powerheads for water movement?

I'd go with the powerheads...probably 2-3 Maxi Jet 900's or 1200's. JMHO.

Actually, my tank would be 35 gallons since I wont be using the wet/dry filter area in the back. So I would need about 53 lbs. of LR to get 1.5 lbs. per gallon. Is it OK to put in about 25 lbs. starting up, and adding more LR while my tank is cylcing? I've also read that I can get LR and dead rock, and revive the dead rock when mixing it together with the LR. What are they actually referring to when a rock is "dead." My friend had a SW tank but it is now empty with what used to be live rock in it. Can I use that as dead rock?

No live corals in this tank, just planning on having LR and dead corals.

Yes, you can use the rock from your friends tank. "Dead" rock is rock that has dried out and has nothing alive living in it. Bacteria and other critters will colonize the rock again and it will soon be live rock. Beware that pest algae grows easily on dead or base rock. You can add more LR at any time, but you may have another mini cycle from the die off on the new rock. I would get all my rock in the tank before I added any fish.

Back
Top Bottom