What requires more maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
A 46 gallon freshwater tank or a 46 gallon saltwater tank?

I always heard saltwater was more of a bio cycle and required less maintenance. Obviously no vacuuming in a salt tank...any ideas?

vacuuming is necessary at times in SW. it depends on the sand bed grain size and the bioload. if you have a BB (barebottomed) system, obviously no vacuuming is necesaary :D:D:D
but i believe SW or FW is a matter of preference. if low maintanence is really key, i say go FW because a reef is a real TASK to keep in hgood health. GET GOLDFISH, theyre easy to keep and pretty :p plus a planted FW tank will maintain itself fairly well.

makana said:
vacuuming is necessary at times in SW

I disagree. I don't own a sand or gravel vaccuum and it' sbeen a year and my DSB looks great. I would only worry if you hac a CC bed.

I agree with xxfirefighter. I don't vacuum either. I have a couple of sand sifting stars and snails and my sand looks great.

i have some crushed coral in my DSB which was a mistake so i need to vacuum up once in a blue moon. my point is if vacuuming is a problem due to effort, keeping a reef will not be any easier. testing parameters alone is more work than gravel vac'ing...

I only ask because I think SW is more attractive and I might be more interested in keeping it clean. I have grown bored with my tetras and 10gal tank. FW seem to be to drab in coloring. SW I never seem to get tired of looking at.

Thanks for your inputs!

sure. if youre attracted to it, you have answered your own question my friend :)
enjoy!

I think my salt water tank is a lot eaier than my fresh tank then again I had ciclids and my final one was an Oscar messiest fish IMO I also had a green terror and a red devil and some more. I rotated kept them let them get big then gave them back. Before I get to off topic salt water is easier and a lot more expensive IMO.

Honestly, I have kept both and the maintenance is pretty close exept for having to buy salt and essentials. SW tanks are initially more expensive to setup, but worth every dime.
I switch for the very same reason. FW to me was boring. Great practice though.
Mike

Actually a reef when properly set up is about as stable as they come. Most tanks crash due to owner neglect. Do water changes, keep your equipment in top shape and a reef will last longer than most people want to be in the hobby.

For me, the SW is a lot more work . . . more tests, have to worry about having RO water for topoffs, have to think ahead so SW is ready for changes . . . YMMV!

ahahahahhaha
of course it is worth it. would i be doing it otherwise? :):):)
its worth every moment...
even when i wake up at 7am on sunday to add calcium and iodine!
followed by some aquariumadvising.com....
aahhahahahahahhahhahahahha

taking the type of fish out of the equation, I'd say a normal FW is much less maintenance than a SW...mainly because SW, especially reef, requires closely watching alkalinity, pH, calcium and salinity...plus you have to pre-mix your seawater.

Now, if you're comparing a high light, CO2 injected planted tank to a reef setup, then maintenance is about the same...both tanks have a lot of test kits, and supplements/ferilizers to keep up on.

Still, neither is that daunting of a task.

Back
Top Bottom