Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by ccCapt
Very interesting reply.

Just curious, but why do you think anyone would need elevated calcium? There is no advantage in keeping calcium anything over that of natural seawater...which is 420ppm.

What brand of salt do you think is low in those elements and how do you know this?

Again, what salt do you think meets this recommendation and how do you know what it actually contains?

I will just quote Dr. Holmes-Farley on this recommendation....
"I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix (because I doubt their utility, they degrade with time to who knows what, bacteria may thrive on them as I store new salt water for a substantial period, they are totally undescribed with respect to amounts or identity, they are not naturally present in natural seawater at appreciable levels, and because I've occasionally had them mess with my skimmer), so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals,..."
Call the company they usually have no problem listing certain levels. By reef building elements im mainly talking about ca, alk, mag which is usually listed on many salt labels at various.

As for why an elevated calcium. Some tanks take up calcium rapidly, tanks full of stony corals and clams drain calcium like nothing. Having elevated calcium helps tremendously with trying to maintain levels. If you can maintain calcium levels no problem then obviously you dont need a mix that contains higher calcium.

As for trace elements, some can be found and some listed. Usually salts not intended for reefs contain lower levels of these elements. Usually is a strong word.

I was just giving recommendations on figuring out what might work best for a certain idividual. Obviously for Dr. Holmes-Farley instant ocean and tropic marin work for him. As stated by him each has its pros and cons.

29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com