Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Instant Ocean here as well. I can't say as I've ever had ammonia spikes either. And I mix my salt water in big 20-gallon tubs, so I do go through a lot of it. I have read an article somewhere that compared IO and Reef Crystals. IO was rated much better for FOWLR tanks, while Reef Crystals was better for a reef tank. I haven't read anything on the Oceanic brand.

If you do intend on switching salt, do it slowly, not all at once. Mix up one batch with 4 parts IO and 1 part Oceanic, next batch 3 parts IO and 2 Oceanic, and so on, until you've made the switch completely. Unless you've got a serious issue and need to do emergency intervention, you NEVER want to do anything that's going cause sudden changes in a marine environment, no matter how subtle they might sound at first.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it a bad idea to mix salts together reguraly?

The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use IO it is ok, the ting I don't like is that it does not dissolve very fast even at 80f, I still have to stir it about with my powerhead. Is it worth trying something else?

100g fw fluval 404, 403, mag 350 w/biowheel30
2 Tiger Oscars, 6 tinfoil barbs, 2 silver dollars, 2 clown loaches, 1 red finned pacu, and 2 bal sharks
55g salt water with 2 clarki clowns, 3 damsels, and a diamond goby, 60# lr, 40# ls, 3 bulb anenomes
spankerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Is it a bad idea to mix salts together reguraly?
I'm not sure why you'd want to. It doesn't "build up" like shampoo, so there's no reason to change in order for it to remain effective. And when you think of the investment you've already made (i.e., tank, rocks, fish, etc.), saving 50 cents by buying a cheaper brand of salt seems hardly worth the trade if you upset the balance in your tank and things start dying, doesn't it? Part of the key to a successful marine tank is consistency, and if you start changing the basic chemistry of your tank(s), you just might upset the balance of the ecosystem.

Honestly, DO NOT SKIMP on your supplies, especially one as basic as salt. Find one that works for you and stick with it. If I found out that Instant Ocean was going out of business, I would stock up with about 20 bags and do the transition to a new salt very, very slowly.

And as far as dissolving, yes, Instant Ocean does take some time to dissolve completely, but most salts do. And once the salt has dissolved, the other chemicals and compounds take a while to break up completely. Even the ones that claim to be faster will usually recommend letting it take a little longer than the minimum time. Again, don't rush...if you add salt compounds that aren't completely dissolved, you might see a saline spike once the salts finish breaking up in your tank.

Instant Ocean recommends 48 hours for complete dissolution...I use this as my minimum. I mix 30-40 gallons at a time...I add my RO water, a few drops of Prime for slimecoat, my salt, two powerheads and a pre-calibrated heater, throw on the lid and leave it alone. 24 hours later, I check my salinity to see if it needs an adjustment and let it continue to cook. By the time I get ready to use it, it's exactly the right temperature, everything is completely dissolved and it's fully aerated. As long as you plan ahead, the waiting time is minimal.

I've had one or two emergencies where I needed some salt water quickly and couldn't wait for natural dissolution, so I added 1 cup of IO to some distilled water and brought it to a boil. The heat greatly speeds up the dissolution rate (I knew Home Economics would come in handy some day). Then add this to enough room temperature water to bring it down to 80 degrees and it gave me enough water to tide me over until I could get some prepared correctly. I don't recommend this method for standard practice, just a matter of urgency, and if you use it, be very careful not to scald your fish.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
don't change salts all at once. I've heard it's bad. do some mixing for a few water changes.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kent

Has anyone used Kent seasalt? Someone told me it was the best.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I have kent in my tank, but I haven't used it long enough to have an opinion.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was advised to use Oceanic for a reef tank, but Instant Ocean is fine for a FO tank. There are trace elements required for a reef in Oceanic salt. I'm dosing with calcium, for example, until my Instant Ocean is gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was advised to use Oceanic for a reef tank, but Instant Ocean is fine for a FO tank. There are trace elements required for a reef in Oceanic salt. I'm dosing with calcium, for example, until my Instant Ocean is gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Oceanic.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com