What salt to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If those people at Kent only knew how many folks pay attention to what Steve says and how many folks are in his fan club - they'd at least give him salt free for those 2 words. 8)

So Steve, why is Kent the best in your book?

austinsdad said:
If those people at Kent only knew how many folks pay attention to what Steve says and how many folks are in his fan club - they'd at least give him salt free for those 2 words. 8)
I some how doubt that.... LOL

So Steve, why is Kent the best in your book?
Balanced chemistry right out of the bucket, stability and consistancey.

Cheers
Steve

Can't remember the exact numbers for Kent but I am making some SW up for my nano's when I get home tonight. I will post the numbers tommorrow near midday. I have never used Oceanic so I cannot give you any values for that. From what I've read though it has a cronic high Ca/low alk (unbalanced) and normal to low pH. I have not seen anyone report Mg levels.

Cheers
Steve

I'll check back on Monday or Tuesday when I get back to work. I starting to think ou should be salaried by AA. :wink:

Thanks Steve!!

I am the odd man out here. I use Coralife. NO particular reason except that is what the LFS sold me when I started up my tank. Seems to work fine.

Mixing salts is not good. The proper way to switch salts is to do tiny water changes with the new salt over a period of time so sensitive corals and inverts do not sense the change.

Kent numbers....

Mixed to 35 ppt @ 79°. Some cloudiness when added to water but quickly clears, no undissolved salts.

Alk 4.27 mEq/l
Ca 445 ppm
Mg 1325 ppm

Cheers
Steve

Those are some pretty good numbers out of the box, Steve. I ordered some Oceanic and should get it by the end of the week. I will post those so we can have a comparison.

Mike

Just to update this thread for future browsers...

I just tested a fresh batch of Oceanic. It's been mixing since yesterday afternoon and is from the bottom of a 200 gal bucket. The batch is about 15 gallons.
pH - 8.2
PO4 - 0
Alk - 2.5
Ca - 420
Mg - 1380
Temp - 80F
SG - 1.025
pH and Alk were done with SeaChem kits and Salifert, PO4 with a Hagen test kit, and Ca and Mg were done with Salifert kits.

Thanks for the update cmor. I am in the process of changing over as well, so I will post some numbers when I get a chance as well.

Mike

I recently setup my 86 gallon with Oceanic salt. I got the 200 gallon bucket. The tank has been running for a week. pH is 8.2. SG is 1.025 Nitrites and Nitrates are both at 0. Alk is 2.75 I'm really happy with the salt.

has anyone ever tried Red Sea salt? or have an opinion on the brand? I just bought a bucket enough for 200 gallons and now I'm wondering if it's any good since I haven't seen anyone talk about it on these posts!

Back
Top Bottom