What should i add to my sw tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a power head and a circulation pump are one in the same, just 2 different names for it. i don't know how it would be to accomplish even flow throughout that tank. it's an odd shape for sure. i fear if you put an extremely strong power head on one side, nothing will be able to be placed near it. i might try a pair of 500-700 gph pumps, like hydor koralia evolutions or mj pros and see what that does for the tank before i went stronger. the only thing i don't like about the maxijets is that they don't have magnet mounts, just suction cups.
as for placement, you'll have to move things around a bit in order to get it right. you want to achieve decent flow throughout the tank and little or no dead spots.

mr_X said:
a power head and a circulation pump are one in the same, just 2 different names for it. i don't know how it would be to accomplish even flow throughout that tank. it's an odd shape for sure. i fear if you put an extremely strong power head on one side, nothing will be able to be placed near it. i might try a pair of 500-700 gph pumps, like hydor koralia evolutions or mj pros and see what that does for the tank before i went stronger. the only thing i don't like about the maxijets is that they don't have magnet mounts, just suction cups.
as for placement, you'll have to move things around a bit in order to get it right. you want to achieve decent flow throughout the tank and little or no dead spots.

Ok that sounds good I will try that, thanks

Today this is results, whats this mean? Three days ago the ammonia was at 0.50 the nitrite 0.25 the nitrate at 10 ??? Help

Attachments

• image-4091599184.jpg
    image-4091599184.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 68
Well the thing is with the maxijet PRO you can convert it and use either an impeller or propeller, and the impeller reduces the flow significantly but is still worth more as far as pushing water goes for the price.

I just think the smaller Koralias are really overpriced for what they do, which is blow water with a weak propeller. I have a 15 dollar maxijet pro 600 and a 425gph koralia in my 24. The koralia was 32 dollars and maxijet was 15, the maxijet converted to an impeller pushes twice the volume of water.

It is bulkier for sure, but in a 72" tank you're going to need that flow.

Once you have no ammonia or nitrite then you do a water change to bring your nitrate down and you should be safe to start slowly adding livestock. (if you have CUC you will need to feed the tank even if you don't have any fish yet)

Greenmaster said:
Once you have no ammonia or nitrite then you do a water change to bring your nitrate down and you should be safe to start slowly adding livestock. (if you have CUC you will need to feed the tank even if you don't have any fish yet)

How big of a water change?

Well the thing is with the maxijet PRO you can convert it and use either an impeller or propeller, and the impeller reduces the flow significantly but is still worth more as far as pushing water goes for the price.

I just think the smaller Koralias are really overpriced for what they do, which is blow water with a weak propeller. I have a 15 dollar maxijet pro 600 and a 425gph koralia in my 24. The koralia was 32 dollars and maxijet was 15, the maxijet converted to an impeller pushes twice the volume of water.

It is bulkier for sure, but in a 72" tank you're going to need that flow.
but how long have you had these pumps, and how many times have you had to pick them up off of the sand bed and do some damage control as a result of their losing suction from the glass?

Had a question I have a lot of small little white thing crawling on my glass there as small as a tip on a pin, I know there from the live rock but is it good or bad???

Had a question I have a lot of small little white thing crawling on my glass there as small as a tip on a pin, I know there from the live rock but is it good or bad???

at this stage, they are most likely isopods. i was able to snap a couple pictures of some that were cruising the glass in one of my tanks a while back. if they look like these, they will be present for a short time and then disappear. i don't know what happens to them, if they get eaten or just run out of food but whatever it is, they aren't visible for long.
the starfish next to them is an asterina star and it's probably slightly larger than a BB, for scale.....

img_1391844_0_0b75712e1a876d8814b3ebc7045d1f07.jpg

img_1391844_1_094323d555f9b864f50ddc42fe2f0e7a.jpg

mr_X said:
at this stage, they are most likely isopods. i was able to snap a couple pictures of some that were cruising the glass in one of my tanks a while back. if they look like these, they will be present for a short time and then disappear. i don't know what happens to them, if they get eaten or just run out of food but whatever it is, they aren't visible for long.
the starfish next to them is an asterina star and it's probably slightly larger than a BB, for scale.....

Is that magnified????

Looking at your picture Mr X I feel really stupid now. For a while I wasn't sure what the flakes on my glass were. Now I guess it must be coralline :D

And that pic is probably 10 or so times magnified.

How about two 750 hydro koralia evolution power heads will that be to powerful or not my take is actually 65" long 28" high and 4" wide 21gallons

yep..it's a macro shot. as i said, that starfish is about the size of a BB, or perhaps slightly larger.

Back
Top Bottom