Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a power head and a circulation pump are one in the same, just 2 different names for it. i don't know how it would be to accomplish even flow throughout that tank. it's an odd shape for sure. i fear if you put an extremely strong power head on one side, nothing will be able to be placed near it. i might try a pair of 500-700 gph pumps, like hydor koralia evolutions or mj pros and see what that does for the tank before i went stronger. the only thing i don't like about the maxijets is that they don't have magnet mounts, just suction cups.
as for placement, you'll have to move things around a bit in order to get it right. you want to achieve decent flow throughout the tank and little or no dead spots.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
a power head and a circulation pump are one in the same, just 2 different names for it. i don't know how it would be to accomplish even flow throughout that tank. it's an odd shape for sure. i fear if you put an extremely strong power head on one side, nothing will be able to be placed near it. i might try a pair of 500-700 gph pumps, like hydor koralia evolutions or mj pros and see what that does for the tank before i went stronger. the only thing i don't like about the maxijets is that they don't have magnet mounts, just suction cups.
as for placement, you'll have to move things around a bit in order to get it right. you want to achieve decent flow throughout the tank and little or no dead spots.
Ok that sounds good I will try that, thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today this is results, whats this mean? Three days ago the ammonia was at 0.50 the nitrite 0.25 the nitrate at 10 ??? Help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4091599184.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	39486  
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

It means you are almost done your cycle
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the thing is with the maxijet PRO you can convert it and use either an impeller or propeller, and the impeller reduces the flow significantly but is still worth more as far as pushing water goes for the price.

I just think the smaller Koralias are really overpriced for what they do, which is blow water with a weak propeller. I have a 15 dollar maxijet pro 600 and a 425gph koralia in my 24. The koralia was 32 dollars and maxijet was 15, the maxijet converted to an impeller pushes twice the volume of water.

It is bulkier for sure, but in a 72" tank you're going to need that flow.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

How soon do I put a clean up crew??
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you have no ammonia or nitrite then you do a water change to bring your nitrate down and you should be safe to start slowly adding livestock. (if you have CUC you will need to feed the tank even if you don't have any fish yet)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster
Once you have no ammonia or nitrite then you do a water change to bring your nitrate down and you should be safe to start slowly adding livestock. (if you have CUC you will need to feed the tank even if you don't have any fish yet)
How big of a water change?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want to keep nitrates below 20
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
Well the thing is with the maxijet PRO you can convert it and use either an impeller or propeller, and the impeller reduces the flow significantly but is still worth more as far as pushing water goes for the price.

I just think the smaller Koralias are really overpriced for what they do, which is blow water with a weak propeller. I have a 15 dollar maxijet pro 600 and a 425gph koralia in my 24. The koralia was 32 dollars and maxijet was 15, the maxijet converted to an impeller pushes twice the volume of water.

It is bulkier for sure, but in a 72" tank you're going to need that flow.
but how long have you had these pumps, and how many times have you had to pick them up off of the sand bed and do some damage control as a result of their losing suction from the glass?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com