Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i wouldn't get any corals until you cycle the tank, and get stronger lighting. how are you cycling the tank? have you added an ammonia source?
im cycling it using seeded water from a very very nice lfs. their one of the best places ive ever seen for marine a aquarium store. when i started the tank i put in 30 lbs live sand 33 lbs live rock i added 17 more the next day =. filled with seeded water topped off with ro water mixed to 1.025 and started the canister and skimmer and circulation pumps. had a very small spike in ammonia today but is gone now and yes i have sea fans starting to grow half of them are almost ready to make their fans!! my 2 fire clowns seem to be extremely happy eating very well playing and i'm pretty sure they are mating!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
seeded water? unfortunately, there's no such thing. bacteria resides on surfaces for the most part, not in the water column. you can't effectively cycle a tank using a water change from another tank unless it's a filthy tank and the water is full of nutrients.
the live rock and sand- was this from established tanks or was it uncured rock? how much ammonia did you see? sea fans aren't an indicator that the cycle is over. if you didn't have much of a cycle, you won't have a strong bacteria colony.
so, if i'm hearing you correctly, you are cycling the tank using clownfish? if you had an ammonia spike since you added the fish, then you didn't have an adequate cycle.
i would have a water change ready to save them if the ammonia rises again.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldn't say that no bacteria resides in the water, but its minimal more barcteria in the rocks and even in a filter pad then actually in the water column itself
Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya they should have gave you a stocking of substrate, or a used filter pad. That's the easiest way, there is not much that is beneficial in the water column.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's true I didn't think of the little bit I was thinking freshwater but still I know it's better to have a used filter or something along those lines. I'll go tomorrow and get a filter sock from the tank I got my clowns from. The ammonia was no higher than .25 ppm whit no nitrites I do have 30 gal of pre mixed ro water w/salt that's at room temp so 20 mins in the bucket with the pump and heater done deal. My rock is un cured unfortunately I was unaware of a curing process luckily my lfs cleaned my rock really well for me because of the situation. He's a swell guy.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I should also add I got two pieces of live rock from a display tank that was running for a year and a half
Old 10-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
just keep an eye on the ammonia. stop it before it gets too high with a partial water change. don't add any more livestock for a couple/few weeks at least. it's going to be tricky because you want the ammonia, but you don't want to hurt the fish. so...somewhere a happy medium (if that's possible). good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
just keep an eye on the ammonia. stop it before it gets too high with a partial water change. don't add any more livestock for a couple/few weeks at least. it's going to be tricky because you want the ammonia, but you don't want to hurt the fish. so...somewhere a happy medium (if that's possible). good luck.
thanks! the ammonia hasnt spiked over .50ppm and i hear you on the happy medium im not adding anything for atleast 3 weeks as far as livestock.

Tags
anemone, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com