Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What should I do Anemone or Coral??

I have 2 cinnamon clowns and 48 lbs live rock. The wife and I are having a hard time trying to decide on whether we should do coral or anemone. we have a 45 gal bowfront and i'm not sure if I have proper lighting for an anemone. I'm looking to upgrade but can't afford it ATM. 10,000k day 50/50 acticnic 39w. Tank has been cycling for almost 5 days no ammonia spikes trace nitrites good ph and salinity. We wouldn't be purchasing anything for 2 weeks because bills need to be paid.

What are your opinions? soft corals or anemone? proper lighting for the moment? tank cycling long enough when we have extra $$??

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO I would get the corals. You might get the anenome and the clowns might not host it as there is no guarantee they will.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW my skimmer has barely had any filth in it so i know my bio load is very little and my live rock is purpling like crazy and many many sea fans are growing as well
Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefnoob84 View Post
I have 2 cinnamon clowns and 48 lbs live rock. The wife and I are having a hard time trying to decide on whether we should do coral or anemone. we have a 45 gal bowfront and i'm not sure if I have proper lighting for an anemone. I'm looking to upgrade but can't afford it ATM. 10,000k day 50/50 acticnic 39w. Tank has been cycling for almost 5 days no ammonia spikes trace nitrites good ph and salinity. We wouldn't be purchasing anything for 2 weeks because bills need to be paid.

What are your opinions? soft corals or anemone? proper lighting for the moment? tank cycling long enough when we have extra $$??

Thanks!
Soo...you only have 39 watts on a 45 gallons, or am I reading this wrong??? Because that's not enough light for an anemone - even a rose bubble tip. I'd definitely go with the corals, as many clowns will take to those as well. Besides, anemones move around the tank as they please and if it dies, it can kill all other inhabitants in your tank

You'll know if your cycling is good when you get brown stuff everywhere called diatoms.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't think you need to put either in the tank if it is still cycling. In fact, I'm told that you should wait at least 3 mos to even think about an anemone. I have had my 50 gal tub set up for 10 years.... water checks out fine... 36" strip of LED lights (reef capable). My $60 beautiful long tentacle did great for @ 1 wk then just shriveled up and died... very, very depressing... for me & for the clown that loved him so They also tend to do this at the most inopportune times ... I was going out of town for the week-end... trying to decide whether to take him out or leave him in.... just in case he was just "being an anemone"... they do strange things. Anyway, he ended up dying.... I now have a very pretty plate coral and my clown has hosted in him and seems pretty happy. ... not as excited as he was with the anemone but happy.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'd wait for 6 months to a year for an anemone. Your tank is gonna go thru changes and you'll learn more before your tank becomes stable. Please don't rush one of them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice I will follow accordingly. A I'm not exactly sure how to answer that question All4wheels. I kinda feel like an idiot but my fixtre is designed for freshwater. It's an Aqueon dual lamp t5 36". it came with 2 21w bulbs and i have since replaced them with 39w actinic and a 10000k daylight. So I'm not sure if you combine the lamps for a total or just the wattage itself. I will be upgrading slightly if you want to call it to a cheapo 3 bulb setup with leds from ebay for 80$. It's a T5 HO unit and thats still only temporay till I save enough scratch to get a top of the line light setup.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i wouldn't get any corals until you cycle the tank, and get stronger lighting. how are you cycling the tank? have you added an ammonia source?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait, it's not cycled and you have sea fans already?!?! You are really lucky If you do lol. I agree with x about the cycle but if you don't want to get a new light right now, try a mushroom coral. They need about the lowest light for a coral and are pretty. But I'm not event sure if that would be okay with a freshwater light. I would just purchase a light from fishneedit.com . I just checked their prices and they are incredibly cheap.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com