What should I feed my Pygmy Angel, Royal Gramma & Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got my first 2 fish...A Pygmy Angel and a Royal Gramma!!

They were drip acclimated over 4 hours...and seem to be fairing well in the tank. Well...now I am VERY nervous on how I should go about feeding them.

My tank has cycled for 6 weeks...and has a VERY well established algae growth. The Pygmy seems to be nibbling algae from the live rock. It has no interest with the flake food I am feeding. I am feeding Sera GVG Food, as recommended from my LFS.

The Royal Gramma seems to be doing well...and darted out to eat quite a few flakes of the GVG Flake.

I am just wondering what else should I be feeding them? Should I get some frozen foods? If so...what kind? I do not have many LFS in the area...so I may have to mail order the frozens.

For other inhabitants in the tank I have:

2 Cleaner Shrimps
4 Peppermint Shrimps
2 Emerald Crabs
and many Astrea/Tubro/Cerith/Nassarius Snails and many Blue, red, and scarlet leg Hermits. Snails and hermits have LOTS of alage to keep them busy

Make your own in a blender. There is a very good recipe on this site under"blender mush recipe". You can buy everything at the grocery store. Shrimp, scallops, romaine lettuce, garlic, spinach leaves, and some kind of fish vitamin like zoe or selcon. The recipe tells the different varieties of things you can add dependent on what kind of eaters you have. This is very cheap and is mixed up in your blender then frozen and stored in baggies. This way you have no added phosphates or nitrates. Plus you can adjust it when you add more fish with different eating preferences. I use it and have had no problems with cyano since starting with it.

The angel will like nori. The gramma will aswell but you can feed both also marine flake food and supplement once a week with some frozen fish dinner. :)

Where can one find Nori?? I am guessing it is a seaweed of somekind.

Would you recommend putting on a clip for grazing on? How long should you keep some in the tank before changing it?

Thanks!

WC

Where can one find Nori?? I am guessing it is a seaweed of somekind.
Yes it is seaweed. You can find it at most LFS's or asian food stores. Also many grocery chains carry it in their asian food section.
Would you recommend putting on a clip for grazing on?
Definately, or you can attach it to rock with rubber bands.

long should you keep some in the tank before changing it?
You can leave it in for several hours, it does not degrade the water quality as easily as meaty food will.

It will be much cheaper if you find a source outside your LFS.

I get mine in 8X11 sheets. I tear the sheat in half and fold the half sheets into fourths. THen I put it in my clip. I highly recommend the mag clip from premium aquatics as it uses a magenet vs a suction cup. My fish will eat at the nori and over the course of a few hours it will be totally consumed.

Back
Top Bottom