Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you using to cycle your tank? YOu certainly can "precycle" your tank before you put in the good LR. This will help preserve the life on the rock if it does not have to go through the cycle.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had 2 raw shrimp in since filling it 10 days ago.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Substrate? Any other mechanical filtration?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry for the bad advice . Actually, reading their site it sounds like they try to ship it to you directly from the ocean ASAP so it hasn't been cured and doesn't need it, which might explain its great quality. So yes, I would say wait til the tank has cycled, add the rock and let it sit for few days at least, test and if all good, start livestock, slowly.

On the skimmer, I thought it's better to have your skimmer off during the shrimp cycle - just PHs. Anyone?
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Rotala,Vallis,Crypt,Ambulia,Watersprite
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 4" sand bed (no ls) and ~70# of base rock. I also have a canister filter (only using the micro filtration pad it came with right now).
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
On the skimmer, I thought it's better to have your skimmer off during the shrimp cycle - just PHs. Anyone?
I've heard it both ways so I just flipped coin. Well, actually I wanted it to be broken in and hopefully finished spitting out the microbubbles. I have the cup adjusted pretty high and it only collects very little. What it does collect is basicly clear so (right or wrong) I just dump it back in the tank.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have a 4" sand bed (no ls) and ~70# of base rock. I also have a canister filter (only using the micro filtration pad it came with right now).
Sounds good. It may take a bit longer to cycle without any exsisting bio-media but that is okay. once you notice amonia/nitrite have spiked and dropped and you get some detectable nitrates you should okay to add the LR. In a new tank such as yours you could very well see a small ammonia spike from the die-off on the rock. No big deal, just have enough aged SW on hand to do a water change if needed.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I waited until my tank cycled before adding the LR. I figured, this way any ammonia spike would be minimized. You will almost certainly get some new ammonia, as some of the shellfish wil likely get squashed during shipment.

As far as the dips, I recommend doing something. I used club soda into the holes, and pulled out crabs, bristleworms, and a mantis shrimp. Unfortunately, another mantis shrimp appeared after I completed my aquascape. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I have read TONS of posts from people who report no damage at all from freshwater or hypersalinity dips of 1-3 minutes in duration.

I wasn't sure, though, so I used the club soda method, I just missed a hole, I guess.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I have read TONS of posts from people who report no damage at all from freshwater or hypersalinity dips of 1-3 minutes in duration.
I suppose the key in this is that they report no VISIBLE damage. How do you know what life you've lost? It won't be there to know you lost it. I would think that the more sensitive life on that rock cannot survive a FW dip..especially if they are clinging to life as a result of being out of water for 20 hours or so.

Once you lose that life, it is extinct in your system unless reintroduced later.

My philosophy is to keep as much alive as possible and selectively remove what I don't want to keep later. That might mean dealing with crabs or otherwise, but that is the trade off we all must decide on.

Your rock should do very well since you've already established some bio-filtration on your 70#s of base rock. Any unfortunate die off will be more easily dealt with by your system as a result.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was under the impression by reading a few posts on this form that introducing rock from lr.com (which is cured rock) to a new tank would most likely cause a very short cycle due to the amount of bacteria on the rock.

I've read where lr.com key's rock cycled tanks in 1-2 weeks.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm planning on cycling with nothing BUT 60lbs keys rock and 40lbs live base rock from lr.com next week. Am I reading that I should have cycled my tank first to avoid die off?

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com