Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Am I reading that I should have cycled my tank first to avoid die off?
Got me??? Every time I ask a question here I just get more confused
Just kidding, thanks for the replies everyone!

My decisions:
1) I will wait till my tank has cycled before adding the lr.
2) The rock will go straight into my main. Since I don't have any livestock in there I don't have that worry. I can take my time and deal with the unwanted critters.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It won't be there to know you lost it. I would think that the more sensitive life on that rock cannot survive a FW dip..especially if they are clinging to life as a result of being out of water for 20 hours or so.
What makes you so sure life that could be killed by a 2 minute freshwater dip would then survive the ammonia and nitrite of a fuul-blown cycle?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
What makes you so sure life that could be killed by a 2 minute freshwater dip would then survive the ammonia and nitrite of a full-blown cycle?
Oh, I agree. Some life on the rock won't survive that either. The cycle is something to be avoided if possible.

Some like to cycle the tank with the LR. This seems to me not too different than cycling the tank with a live fish. But to many, the rock is nothing more than biofiltration with coraline.

So if you want to preserve as much life on your LR as possible...don't dip it in anything but healthy SW...and try to introduce it slowly into a tank that already has existing biofiltration.

I realize that preserving the life on the LR is not the highest priority for many people. There's no one right way to do this. There's only consequences of doing it differently.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have more critters than I know what to do with, and I used FW AND club soda. I have urchins, crabs, mushrooms, snails, limpets, starfish, spaghetti worms, coralline algae, macroalgae and God only knows what else.

If I'm missing something, I'm not complaining...

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I have urchins, crabs, mushrooms, snails, limpets, starfish, spaghetti worms, coralline algae, macroalgae...
...and it sounds like you've got everything that you hoped for/expected out of your rock.

For me...the LR purchase cost nearly 10x the price of any other critter I've purchased. Basically, the LR is my tank. So I did absolutely everything I could think of to give the life on that rock as much chance of survival as possible. That included pre-cycling the tank and not dipping it in anything that causes critters to jump for it.

As usual, people often come to the forum seeking the 'correct' way to do something and there aren't cut/dry answers. It's understanding the system and making the decisions that are right for you. It's in the discussion that people learn.

I accept that my expectations of LR are not commonly what people want from their LR.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
As usual, people often come to the forum seeking the 'correct' way to do something and there aren't cut/dry answers. It's understanding the system and making the decisions that are right for you. It's in the discussion that people learn.
That, of course, is the correct answer. Different folks have different methods, and many seem to work well. A local fish guy near me says we are all HARMING our systmes by using RO/DI water - he uses ONLY tap water in his tanks and they are beautiful. Go figure.

Livestock I added:

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com