Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What should I know about lr?

Per advise I received here I'm going to make a lr purchase from lr.com instead of a cleanup crew just as soon as my tank is finished cycling. I have a 75g tank with approx 70# br. I will probably be getting 40# lr.
I've read of a couple of different ways to try to get rid of unwanted hitchhikers - dunk the rock in either a high saltwater mix or, water containing no salt. Which is best and for how long do I leave the rock submerged?
Also, should I call and ask for smaller pieces to spread out over my br or just place the order over the web and accept what I get? I ask that because I read so many posts here that say they "talked" to so and so at lr.com and I'm wondering why they called instead of just placing the order?

Old 03-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suggest neither. Hypo or hypersalinity dips will cause stress on the desirable things on and in the LR as well as the unwanted items. I a new tank like yours, I would just put the rock in and wait and see what happens. If you identify any unwanted critters they can be delt with in time.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you call, you can tell them what you have and they will pick out rock that should work nicely with your size tank and existing base rock.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My initial addition of LR went right into the main and all is great. I have picked out some crabs but not many. As Lando said dont use high or low salt to dip the rock. If you do dip it use tank water and flush it into the holes with a turkey baster. You can also use seltzer water that is the correct sg and flush the rock with it if needed.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
you call to get the discount for being a member here first of all, second you can tell em what you want exactly...

As for the dip I did a colder hypo salentiy soultuion, dipped for 5 seconds, caught anyting that came out of the rock into a bucket then dunked again.. then put it in my main
Old 03-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fasted64
I purchased some LR when I started my tank a while back and was told to just fill a bucket with clean water, dunk the rock to clean it and remove any noticable dead material. This appearently caused no irreparible damage because my LR is flourishing again.

As far as putting it directly into the aquarium, this depends much on what condition the LR is in. If it's fully cured, you can probably just go ahead and add it to your tank and your tank will be fine providing it was not out of water too long.
If it's only pre-cured or not cured at all, then never add it to an established tank as there will be die-off and your tank will begin cycling all over again.

In your particular case, you mention you are cycling now. You don't need to wait to add live rock after the cycle. Just go ahead and add it now. All live rock, pre-cured or fully cured will cause the tank to cycle at least a little bit as all LR will have some die-off no matter what you do, unless you stole it from your friend down the street or purchased it at a local fish store and it was already cured and it was not out of water long.

In my case, my LR was pre-cured. I added it to my not yet completely cycled tank and within 2 days, the tank was in a full cycle all over again with ammonia maxed out at 8+ ppm again due to die-off. 3 weeks later, my tank stabilized and all Ammonia levels and Nitrite levels dropped to 0 again and the LR is flourishing with life.

Note to anyone adding non or pre-cured LR. Look it over carefully including all the little holes. Make sure you remove as much die-off as possible including clams and snails and such in the holes. This will speed your cycling as you won't have as much die-off polluting the tank.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well now I am confused. If I purchase it from lr.com do I or don't it wait for my tank to cycle? I know there will be some die off from shipping but didn't think it would cause a spike like that. At 1 week my ammo level was at 1 mg/L (with 2 raw shrimp), I am due to test again tomorrow. My Salifert color chart only goes to ">2", not sure how that relates to ppm? Is my ammo almost ready to drop?

Quote:
you call to get the discount for being a member here first of all
Cool, I didn't know they offered a discount. What can I expect for a 40# order?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I believe LR.com rock is uncured, so put it in as soon as you get it. I'd probably take what's left of the shrimp out then too.

Timing-wise, what's important is not whether your tank has finished cycling or not, but whether you have any livestock in the tank that you want to protect from a potential big ammo source (if yes, you want to avoid putting anything but totally cured, right-from-the-tank LR in your tank).
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Rotala,Vallis,Crypt,Ambulia,Watersprite
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I believe LR.com rock is uncured
liverocks.com rock actually comesfully cured. It is safe to go right in the main, baring any overly-long transport times. They a very good job at packaging the rock and it arrives in great shape. Most here have not experienced any ammonia spike after adding it to the tank.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Most here have not experienced any ammonia spike after adding it to the tank.
So I wait till my tank has cycled, correct? I have nothing in there now (except for zillions of microbubbles from my skimmer which are not as amusing now as they were at first )

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com