What should I use to reduce my Alkalinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 125 g tank and am having problems getting my zoos to open up as well as keeping Turbo Snails alive. Most of my water parameters are within acceptable levels, I have changed water until I am blue in the face....15 gallons per day for the past week. I recently read that zoos can be sensitive to high alkalinity levels.....this is the only test that has come back on the high side. I am showing 16-18 dkh and about 480 on my calcium test. Could this be my problem, and if so what should I use to reduce my alkalinity? My salinity is 1.022, Ph 8.2, 0 Ammo, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, Temp 78. Thanks for the help.

How long have you had the zoas? If they're new, maybe they're still acclimating. Did they come from a low light environment to a high light environment? Not sure what kind of lighting you have - you might want to update the "My Info" section of your profile. Is there anything else in the tank?

Also... are you dosing with something to get the high Ca and Alkalinity? If you're doing that many water changes, it sounds like your source water is starting out at 16-18 dKh to start with. Have you test it before adding it to your tank? That seems awful high for fresh saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom