Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, it's what I've got.

Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well, after Bearfan said he had to throttle the Mag 9.5 back, I think you might be better off to keep the pump you have and install a closed loop to supplement flow. Another pump in the 500-700 gph range along with a couple or three powerheads should gie you plenty of flow. Wavemaker would make a nice addition later.

Old 01-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Yes, the overflow kit does have the modified Durso, I made sure of that at least

I did want to install a second pump that would run on a closed loop so I wouldn't have to have powerheads hanging everywhere if possible. That's kinda why I thought I might as well exchange this pump for something running more around 700gph then add a second pump say maybe 800-100gph and split that off into four outlets in the tank so I would have a total flow rate of 1500-1700. Anybody think this would work or be a good idea?

I have a mag 9.5 on my 110G now and have to throttle it bad on my sos skimmer box and was going to buy that same pump for my 72 but was talked out of it because the Iwaki are supposed to be better pumps and the mag drives were about $25 overpriced there.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:42 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, the Iwaki is a better pump. It'll also add less heat to the water.
A few options in the range you specified:
Iwaki WMD40RLT-750 gph @ 4'
Little Giant 4-MDQ-810 gph @ 3'
Blueline 40HD-790 gph @ 4'
Old 01-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Sound good Logan!! What I did was just go with a Quietone 4000 high head for the sump, which at 4' is supposed to flow aournd 800g or so and then I'm going to go with a bigger external pump and make 3-4 outputs for circulation instead of using power heads. I didn't think I'd be able to fit 2 external pumps because of the bow front stand, there just isn't much room under there so thats why I decided to go with a submersible.

I also made the overflow slots twice as wide one the top section to allow more water to flow into it, do you think I should make the bottom ones as wide as well.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

That should work out well. One thing you might want to think about is using a SQWD so you'll have some alternating flow in the tank. That would sort of take the place of the PH's and a wavemaker. It would still keep the tank looking clean since the only thing going in would be the return outlets.
I wouldn't open the bottom slots up any more than they already are. You want to get as much water from the surface as you can because this is where all the DOC's are going to be.

Tags
72g, pump, reef, reef ready

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com