What size pump for a reef ready 72G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to pick up this aquarium today but I have no idea what size pump to buy becaue I have no idea how much water these reef ready tanks can cycle?

Cool, thanks :D Hopefully I'll have a new tank up and running today or tomorrow if I don't get the stand done today.

I think you'll want at least 1200 gph going through it, or at least that's what I am shooting for on my 72. anything greater than 10 X tank capacity (empty) is ideal. I am playing with one mag 9.5 and a cheap 500gph pump at the moment, but plan to lose the cheapo and add another mag 9.5 with a SCWD. I think it'll put me just under 1200 turnover after factoring in head height and all. Is it a bow front?

I got a Iwaki WMD-30RLT-115 but I think I could have used a bigger pump. The guy said I'd need a ball valve at 4-5 feet but I think this pump is only rated around 500gph at that level. Anybody know of the flow rate on these because if the tank can handle a bigger pump I may as well exchange it now before I use it.

what sump are filtration are you using? I am using a refugium, so I am going to go for about 6 or a bit higher turnover... a little slower than normal so the macro algaes can do their thing. On my 45 G main tank and 29 gallon fuge I think I am aiming for a mag 7 (about 700 GPH).

I'm just using a wet/dry. The tank will only be for a puffer and a trigger or 2 so I"m not getting too complicated here. I"m just really mad because I specified I want a huge pump that would be capable of pushing as much water as the overflow could handle and now I find out this pump is only rated at like 500gph.

What is the flow rating on your wet/dry? Some of them are not designed to operate with really high flow rates. If that's the case, you could get another pump and set up a closed loop. I know that means more money, but they work great. Another thing is you have a pressure rated pump which isn't necessary for a return pump. The Iwaki WMD30RLT is rated at 600 gph @ 0' head and has a shut off head of 17'. The same pump in an RLXT (not pressure rated) would give you 1140 gph @ 0' head and a shut off head of 13'. Another pump you might want to look into is the Blueline. These are very high quality pumps designed by an engineer who worked for Iwaki. The Blueline 30HDX will give you 1110 gph @ 0' head and a shut off of 13'. The Blueline's, IMO, are a little quieter than the Iwaki too. Another option would be a Little Giant 3-MDQX rated at 1000 gph @ 3' head. All these pumps should be within $10 of each other pricewise. An example is the Blueline at about $135.00.

I've got a Mag-Drive 9.5 in my sump on my 75 gal and had to install a globe valve to throttle it back. It was performing faster than the overflow could handle.

Also be sure and buy the new All Glass overflow kit. It is a modified Durso that works kick butt right out of the bag. It is all I have been installing in my customers tanks and it works flawlessly and is completley silent!

Well, after Bearfan said he had to throttle the Mag 9.5 back, I think you might be better off to keep the pump you have and install a closed loop to supplement flow. Another pump in the 500-700 gph range along with a couple or three powerheads should gie you plenty of flow. Wavemaker would make a nice addition later.

Yes, the overflow kit does have the modified Durso, I made sure of that at least :lol:

I did want to install a second pump that would run on a closed loop so I wouldn't have to have powerheads hanging everywhere if possible. That's kinda why I thought I might as well exchange this pump for something running more around 700gph then add a second pump say maybe 800-100gph and split that off into four outlets in the tank so I would have a total flow rate of 1500-1700. Anybody think this would work or be a good idea?

I have a mag 9.5 on my 110G now and have to throttle it bad on my sos skimmer box and was going to buy that same pump for my 72 but was talked out of it because the Iwaki are supposed to be better pumps and the mag drives were about $25 overpriced there.

Yes, the Iwaki is a better pump. It'll also add less heat to the water.
A few options in the range you specified:
Iwaki WMD40RLT-750 gph @ 4'
Little Giant 4-MDQ-810 gph @ 3'
Blueline 40HD-790 gph @ 4'

Sound good Logan!! What I did was just go with a Quietone 4000 high head for the sump, which at 4' is supposed to flow aournd 800g or so and then I'm going to go with a bigger external pump and make 3-4 outputs for circulation instead of using power heads. I didn't think I'd be able to fit 2 external pumps because of the bow front stand, there just isn't much room under there so thats why I decided to go with a submersible.

I also made the overflow slots twice as wide one the top section to allow more water to flow into it, do you think I should make the bottom ones as wide as well.

That should work out well. One thing you might want to think about is using a SQWD so you'll have some alternating flow in the tank. That would sort of take the place of the PH's and a wavemaker. It would still keep the tank looking clean since the only thing going in would be the return outlets.
I wouldn't open the bottom slots up any more than they already are. You want to get as much water from the surface as you can because this is where all the DOC's are going to be.

Back
Top Bottom