What size QT is ideal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now that my first round of fish is in my 125g I need to get to work on a saltwater QT tank. What size do you use and how is it set up? What size would you recommend?
Thanks in advance !

you can get a 29g cheap kit from walmart. even a 20 is fine. its just to monitor the fish to see if they hve any illness

It is really going to depend on the fish your are going to put in your QT. I seriously doubt a tang would make it 6 weeks in either of those tanks. Bare bottom with a filter, heater and maybe some pipe or rock so they can hide. For smaller fish a 20 would be fine for larger fish maybe a 40 or larger for things like tangs even small ones have need for zoom room.

Stress is the main killer of tangs, tangs even small ones need room to move. I have seen hippos that were in a small tank and in just a matter of days it had stress related illness, lateral line disease, Ich is another thing that seems to be brought on by stress in tangs more so than other fish. The less stress the better. Jaw fistsh have special needs when in QT they need to have sand to make a home in.

Hm. I was planning on getting a 20 or 29, but since I am planning on getting tangs I may go larger. I guess it'll have to depend on how much room I have.

a 20 or 29 is better than nothing,how long do the LFS have them in there tanks???.I've been using a 10g for over 2 years and have 2 tangs,they have done just fine.

Another thought to keep in mind is if anything is wrong with the fish while they are in qt you want a tank small enough to medicate properly. I don't know what I would have done if any of the fish i qt'd in my 55g needed either medicine or hypo salinity treatment. Alot harder in a larger tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom