Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
This tank comes with VHO lighting and while I know it's not the "best" lighting.....it will work for 90% of what most people are looking to do in a reef setup, correct?
It depends on what corals you think 90% of the people want.
Mike (Melosu) has VHO's over his 125 reef and it looks great.
My tank would not live under VHO's alone. I only use VHO for actinic supplementation.
So it depends on what kinds of corals you want to keep.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would personally build my own tank but that's just me. I'm stuck between constructing a 60g square tank or just saving some cash for text books and building a 15g nano.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
It depends on what corals you think 90% of the people want.
Mike (Melosu) has VHO's over his 125 reef and it looks great.
My tank would not live under VHO's alone. I only use VHO for actinic supplementation.
So it depends on what kinds of corals you want to keep.
yes, this is true. I am very uneducated in the areas of corals so I don't know which ones I would "want". Lighting is such a tough issue with tanks (for me). I guess I don't want to spend $7-$900 on this tank to find out "Oh VHO lighting? Na, you won't be able to do squat with it.....just fish....most corals will die in there".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
I would personally build my own tank but that's just me. I'm stuck between constructing a 60g square tank or just saving some cash for text books and building a 15g nano.
The more I look at tanks and see the difference sizes, the more I am leaning towards a wider tank. I like the look and I think it adds depth to the tank.

I got $900 for my 155g setup and I would like to use that or just a tad more (maybe 1k tops) but in a smaller tank. So I think that's reasonable but still exploring all options.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
glass cages makes a tank 70 Square 30 x 30 x 17 Tall. I think this would be an excellent reef. This is shallow enough that you can put T-5s over it and keep a very wide range of coral.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
glass cages makes a tank 70 Square 30 x 30 x 17 Tall. I think this would be an excellent reef. This is shallow enough that you can put T-5s over it and keep a very wide range of coral.
I looked into this (was on this site last night actually). While their tanks are slightly expensive, it's all the other items that I have to buy that put me well into the 1500k range. The stand for this tank is 300, no canopy but T5 lighting would be about 300, then a sump, pumps, etc. would be another 3-500. ugh, decisions, decisions.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Diy a stand lol. And instead of having a canopy, get pendant lights. Most large T5 fixtures come with pendant hooks. My 24" fixture even has them. However, if you're on a tight budget go with the 75. More money for corals.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I could have most LPS and soft corals and some SPS corals with VHO`s. I have 4 160 watt bulbs across my tank. I just cant do High light corals.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Deep and shallow is what I prefer. That 70 that pat suggested would be really sweet. I have seen people bend over strips of acrylic to hang pendants off of, and it looks really good.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I went last night to look at the tank and the 75 is nice, but the cabinet/stand is WAY too big and will not fit where I want to put it. So I turned my attention to a 65g that he had; very nice. It had all the goodies in it and appeared to be in good shape. The only thing was the bulkhead connector was glued in, so in order to take the tank apart, I would have to break that fitting and then put a new one on once I got it home. Not too sure how dangerous that is to do but I'm not too worried about it.

We'll see what he says....he wanted $700 and I offered $500. Mainly for the reason it doesn't come with a light. Well, it does, but it's a PC setup and I do not want that. After reading several articles (some that you all have suggested), I think I'm better off getting T5's. He said he would need a day to think about it, but I hope he says yes. I believe it's a fair price and he'll know the tank is going to a good home, not to some bum who can't take care of his fish.

Here's for hoping! :p
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Is it empty or does it have rock and livestock already?

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com