Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Is it empty or does it have rock and livestock already?
it has about 100lbs of LR, some corals and, from what I can remember, a purple tang (small), sailfin tang (small), gold stripe marron clown (hosting a big aenenome (sp?)), a cardinal fish and I think another small fish like a gamma orsomething....I can't remember.

All the fish were getting along nicely, enjoying the tank. I was there for 2+ hours and didn't see any abnormal activity amongst the fish (besides the clown being protective of her pad).

Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
it has about 100lbs of LR, some corals and, from what I can remember, a purple tang (small), sailfin tang (small), gold stripe marron clown (hosting a big aenenome (sp?)), a cardinal fish and I think another small fish like a gamma orsomething....I can't remember.

All the fish were getting along nicely, enjoying the tank. I was there for 2+ hours and didn't see any abnormal activity amongst the fish (besides the clown being protective of her pad).

I would take the purple and the sailfin to your LFS when you move the tank. A 65 is too small for almost any tang, especially larger members of the species like those. Might as well do it not instead of in 3 months when they begin to rip each other apart.

Careful moving the anemone, its probably in poor health if it has been living under PC's. It might not have the energy to make the move.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I would take the purple and the sailfin to your LFS when you move the tank. A 65 is too small for almost any tang, especially larger members of the species like those. Might as well do it not instead of in 3 months when they begin to rip each other apart.

Careful moving the anemone, its probably in poor health if it has been living under PC's. It might not have the energy to make the move.
Thanks for the advice....the current light setup that he has is metal halides for that tank but they are mounted to his ceiling and he doesn't want to sell them (he is saving 1 tank and will use them for it) but he has a PC light that he would throw on the tank if I bought it.

All the corals look nice and healthy too, but I was wondering the best way to transport them; probably in a bin with water and a small piece of rock that they are attached to? Not too sure as I've never moved a tank with corals before.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

What kinds of corals? Usually yes, buckets filled with his water are best. Just be careful of breaking things off and smashing things. If you can get a larger rubbermaid tub, they work the best. Nice and easy to spread things out.

Roughneck Storage Box / Bin | Rubbermaid
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What kinds of corals? Usually yes, buckets filled with his water are best. Just be careful of breaking things off and smashing things. If you can get a larger rubbermaid tub, they work the best. Nice and easy to spread things out.

Roughneck Storage Box / Bin | Rubbermaid
Mainly soft corals lilke mushrooms, etc. nothing that could get "hurt" or broke if I wasn't super careful.

2 days later and still haven't heard from him, but he said he was very busy this week. No big deal as I've continued my search and have found 2 others that I am considering.....a 90g and 30g. Yeah, quite the difference between the two but the 30g is a LONG tank and it looks really, really cool.

90g:
90gal Saltwater system for sale

30g:
Rare saltwater AQUARIUM Complete SET UP

The 30g is pretty much ready to go....all I would have to do is buy some more rock and corals for it and it would be running beautifully. However, the downside is I couldn't put too many fish in it and am limited to what size fish.

The 90g is beautiful as well but has some lighting issues. It comes with metal halides and a PC but both need ballasts (he's keeping the icecaps ballast for the halides and the PC one blew). But I'm not too concerned with the lighting because I can't hand a fixture from my ceiling so I would have to get a new light anyhow. So he agreed to drop the price to $400 without the light, which I think is a pretty good deal. I have seen a few lights online for $3-400 or some used one's for $150-$200.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

that 90 with sump and a pump for $100?
Scoop that up right meow, thats a crazy awesome deal.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
that 90 with sump and a pump for $100?
Scoop that up right meow, thats a crazy awesome deal.
That's a 90g with sump, pump, rock, corals, stand and everything that makes it run (the tank is currently up and running) for $400 ($500 if I want the metal Halide bulbs but no ballast).

I think it's a good deal and I just found this light for $150, T5's that will work for the tank (48" long).

WavePoint™ Technology, Inc. The World’s Most Advanced Aquatic Lighting

I'm thinking this 90g is going to happen......
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

So a question I have is this:

Do you think the light in the above link (216 watt 48in High Output (4x 54w) T5 4 Lamp Lighting System (Black)) is enough for doing corals, clams, and maybe some SPS or hard corals? Or would I have to go with the larger wattage light?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, i read that too fast, I though you said he would drop it by $400 not to $400. lol, still a pretty good deal.

That light will not be enough for most of the corals you mentioned. If you want to go the SPS and clam route, you are going to need a 6-8 bulb fixture and keep the high light things above the mid level line.

Otherwise 2 - 150w or 2-250w metal halides will provide all the lighting you need in that tank.

Aquarium Lights Hellolights.com
and
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

are good places to start for lighting solutions that won't break your bank.
if you have the money, I would go with something like this:
2 x 150W MHL with 2 x 2bulbs 4Ft Fixture

Or you can start with the pendants and add on the supplemental later if you want it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Oh, i read that too fast, I though you said he would drop it by $400 not to $400. lol, still a pretty good deal.

That light will not be enough for most of the corals you mentioned. If you want to go the SPS and clam route, you are going to need a 6-8 bulb fixture and keep the high light things above the mid level line.

Otherwise 2 - 150w or 2-250w metal halides will provide all the lighting you need in that tank.

Aquarium Lights Hellolights.com
and
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

are good places to start for lighting solutions that won't break your bank.
if you have the money, I would go with something like this:
2 x 150W MHL with 2 x 2bulbs 4Ft Fixture

Or you can start with the pendants and add on the supplemental later if you want it.
Thanks Jim...he does have a metal halide setup but he's keeping the ballast and said 2 new ballast are about $150 each.....yikes.....plus I don't have a place to hang it so I was thinking a newer light would be best.

I may look around to see what I can get as far as MH available with a stand.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com