Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
Thanks Jim...he does have a metal halide setup but he's keeping the ballast and said 2 new ballast are about $150 each.....yikes.....plus I don't have a place to hang it so I was thinking a newer light would be best.

I may look around to see what I can get as far as MH available with a stand.
If you are looking to do clams and SPS you are going to end up dropping quite a bit. There are few pieces of equipment that you really really don't want to skimp on if you want a masterful reef. Lights are definitely one of them. I prefer to wait till I have money to invest once, then go through several crappy systems before I realize that I should have just done it right the first time. And believe me, I have rushed through several tanks and make all these wrong mistakes several times.

That combo from fishneedit.com comes with feet to set on your tank, its just hard to tell because they were designed and marketed as a pendant.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
If you are looking to do clams and SPS you are going to end up dropping quite a bit. There are few pieces of equipment that you really really don't want to skimp on if you want a masterful reef. Lights are definitely one of them. I prefer to wait till I have money to invest once, then go through several crappy systems before I realize that I should have just done it right the first time. And believe me, I have rushed through several tanks and make all these wrong mistakes several times.

That combo from fishneedit.com comes with feet to set on your tank, its just hard to tell because they were designed and marketed as a pendant.
Thanks again Jim, 'preciate the input.

We are going to look at in come Sunday and if all goes well, I will have it home by late afternoon and setup Sunday evening. My question to everyone is this: He has MH (250w) but he his keeping the ballast. He's offering the light for another $100. Is it worth it to pick up the light and either sell it for more or keep it incase I want to put them in my tank? I don't know how much they cost normally so I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not (for the light).

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, as it were this thread popped up this morning.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1146580
Really is an awesome deal. Spend the money and upgrade the reflectors to Lumenbrights, and I would suggest the Radium 20k's. So many super nice reefs use them. You will just have to find a way to mount them. Building a really east canopy would be best IMO. Can just be a couple pieces of wood built into a simple box. My brother has recently built his, its really simple and works well.
here is some pictures of it.
hoods?
Throw a coat or two of stain in it, and your golden.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Actually, as it were this thread popped up this morning.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1146580
Really is an awesome deal. Spend the money and upgrade the reflectors to Lumenbrights, and I would suggest the Radium 20k's. So many super nice reefs use them. You will just have to find a way to mount them. Building a really east canopy would be best IMO. Can just be a couple pieces of wood built into a simple box. My brother has recently built his, its really simple and works well.
here is some pictures of it.
hoods?
Throw a coat or two of stain in it, and your golden.
Yes, I saw this myself this morning...unfortunately, I'm not very handy (ok, not even close to being handy) with wood and making things like that.

Here's a light I may be purchasing. Someone who lives close to where I'll be getting the tank has it for sale for $150.00. He says it's only 4 months old and still has the box and reciept.

Aquarium HO T-5 Florescent Light Fixtures: WavePoint HO T5 Fluorescent 4 Lamp Lighting Fixtures

My question is, will this light be good enough for the 90g tank? Mainly soft corals....someone told me it wouldn't penetrate the tank to the bottom and I would need to go with a 6 bulb system.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I realize that Jim already answered this question.....I'm just frustrated and confused on the lighting situation. It's a 99% change I am getting the 90g and I think I found a good light for the tank (fish and corals, mainly soft corals for now) - a 4 bulb Wave Point T5 system ($300 new, $150 from this guy). Someone at work told me it wouldn't be enough for that tank and that I should get the 6 bulb system. So I'm confused on what to do.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

You can get that 4 bulb. It will be fine for low light corals like mushrooms and zoas. Fish just need any type of light.

The only thing I would say is that if you think you are going to want to do more then zoas/shrooms in the future, don't get that light and delay your build by a month or two to save up for a better fixture. Its better to buy quality once. When you go to upgrade you will just be stuck with that fixture and it will be worth a lot less.

If you can't scrape up the money for a better system. Then that is a pretty good deal, and you will be fine with it until you catch the full on "reef bug"
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You can get that 4 bulb. It will be fine for low light corals like mushrooms and zoas. Fish just need any type of light.

The only thing I would say is that if you think you are going to want to do more then zoas/shrooms in the future, don't get that light and delay your build by a month or two to save up for a better fixture. Its better to buy quality once. When you go to upgrade you will just be stuck with that fixture and it will be worth a lot less.

If you can't scrape up the money for a better system. Then that is a pretty good deal, and you will be fine with it until you catch the full on "reef bug"
I think I will heed your advice and spend the money while I have it.....I do NOT want to go down this road in the future only to be mad that I didn't do it sooner.

So, with that in mind, is this the light that will be best for my reef to do corals, clams, etc:

2 x 150W MHL with 2 x 2bulbs 4Ft Fixture

If yes, can you recommend the color tempature for the MH and T5's.....remember, I do not have a chiller and would like to avoid one.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is the light that I am thinking of going with.....

AquaticLife LLC | Premium Marine Aquarium Products

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? This should allow me to do all things reef, correct?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it's a done deal, I bought the above mentioned light (AquaticLife 6 bulb T5 setup) today and hopefully tomorrow I will have the tank. The people at the LFS said it will handle ALL my reef needs so I feel pretty comfortable with that.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Nice, good choice. Sorry i was without internet for most of the weekend and couldn't answer your questions. Made a good choice though, I think you'll be happy with that.

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com