Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank?

Well I plan on getting a large saltwater tank when I move into my house in a little less then a year and would like to do a tank with large fish like tangs, angels, butterfly's, and what not. I would love a 150 gallon cube but am unsure if this is enough swimming space for tangs. If not What size cube tank would work? Id like 150-200 gallons. I know a 200 gallon isn't a cube but I just want something that is really deep because I don't want to have like a 7 or 8 foot tank.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say get a 150 or 180 rectangular tank. You can easily get a 6' tank (perfect for tangs) with a 2' depth.

A 150' cube won't be enough swimming space. They really do need long tanks; unless you're opting for smaller tangs (komini's, kole eyes etc)

Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
Well I plan on getting a large saltwater tank when I move into my house in a little less then a year and would like to do a tank with large fish like tangs, angels, butterfly's, and what not. I would love a 150 gallon cube but am unsure if this is enough swimming space for tangs. If not What size cube tank would work? Id like 150-200 gallons. I know a 200 gallon isn't a cube but I just want something that is really deep because I don't want to have like a 7 or 8 foot tank.
It depends on the size of the fish you are getting...I'm currently looking into getting some smaller fish in that variety and they would all work for my 48" long 75 gallon.

I would really like to know more as well! Subscribed!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just really like the potential for aqua scaping a tank with a36" depth. But I guess a 180 would do...the last thing I would want is a bunch of tangs with ich
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Fish R friends, not food!

Tall tanks can be difficult to do things like scaping in. You almost have to dunk your head to reach the bottom. I have used the grabbers that you can buy, but its not the same as placing things by hand. Just sayin'
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 150 gallon cube is 24ish inches deep just the same as a 180 gallon tank. I'm thinking I'll probably have to go with a 180. I would just love to aqua scape a large cube. But lighting probably costs less in a 180 then a 150 cube beings I'd need 2x fixtures.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com