What Size Tank For Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the minimum size tank that would be able to hold all these fish:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 firefish goby
1 exquisite fairy wrasse
1 green mandarin
3 chromis
1 yellow clown goby
1 neon goby

What is the minimum size tank that would be able to hold all these fish:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 firefish goby
1 exquisite fairy wrasse
1 green mandarin
3 chromis
1 yellow clown goby
1 neon goby

I would say only a single firefish or 4-5 firefish

If I didn't get the neon goby could I maybe fit them in a 50 gallon tank if it is 36 inches wide so they have a lot of swimming room.

If I didn't get the neon goby could I maybe fit them in a 50 gallon tank if it is 36 inches wide so they have a lot of swimming room.

I wouldn't. Clowns, chromis, and others get much bigger than people think. I know my full grown clowns are 5x the size I thought they grew to when I started in saltwater. Get the biggest tank you can afford within reason IMO. I'd get a 75 or even a 90 gallon. Many fish people end up wanting need a 90 gallon or bigger.

Also I don't know if a 50 can house a pod population large enough to sustain a green mandarin.

55-75 gallons

+1 I would say the 75 over the 55 though in a heart beat.

I would say only a single firefish or 4-5 firefish

Also a good idea. Two firefish usually end up fighting constantly. I would honestly go with just 1.

The neon goby is the smallest fish on your stocking list and will have the smallest amount of impact on the bio load compared to the other fish.

I wouldn't. Clowns, chromis, and others get much bigger than people think. I know my full grown clowns are 5x the size I thought they grew to when I started in saltwater. Get the biggest tank you can afford within reason IMO. I'd get a 75 or even a 90 gallon. Many fish people end up wanting need a 90 gallon or bigger.

Chromis average about 4" while getting up to 6" and keeping a school of them is a difficult prospect and most people lose all of them except for 1.

Clowns also average about the same size as the chromis.

Also I don't know if a 50 can house a pod population large enough to sustain a green mandarin.

The 50 should be okay with the mandarin as long as there is a good breeding population of pods in a refugium. I wouldn't rely solely on that though and would make sure to get one that's eating frozen.

I'd go with the 75 not just for amount of stocking, but you need lots of room for lots of rock to seed with pods so you can even think about having enough for a mandarin.

I was thinking of getting a seep rate tank to cultivate pods and maybe try and breed brine shrimp as well as seeding the tank with them. Also, according to liveaquaria, the chromis I want, which are acares midget reef chromis, have a maximum size of 2 inches.

Seep rate= separate and I was thinking maybe two 5 gallon tanks for copepods and two 5 gallon tanks for brine shrimp

If I get a 56 gallon tank and add in a 20 gallon sump would that work?

I mentioned before that they have a maximum size of 2 inches

I have more then that in each of my 40 gallons. It really depends. Everyone says you need these big tanks to hold more then 4 or 5 fish. No you don't. as long as you keep up with water changes, have good lighting and plenty of live rock. Most of the time you will be fine.

I would go with the 90... I started with a 30 and like everyone here after about 3-6 month I got a bigger tank and got a 90 go with what you think you will be happy with in the long run I love my 90... The tuff part is getting it filled with coral lots of room in there

Well I figured a smaller tank because in a few years I'm going to college so it is easier to break down a smaller tank.

Well I figured a smaller tank because in a few years I'm going to college so it is easier to break down a smaller tank.

If you're going to college in a few years it might be better to go with a smaller tank and reduce the stocking list. Say, probably a 20 - 30 gallon. Breaking down and moving a salt water tank is waaaay worse than a fresh water tank.

If you're going to college in a few years it might be better to go with a smaller tank and reduce the stocking list. Say, probably a 20 - 30 gallon. Breaking down and moving a salt water tank is waaaay worse than a fresh water tank.

I completely agree with this if u plan on moving it I would pick the fish u really want and start smaller then when u graduate and are making tons of cash with your degree upgrade then

Back
Top Bottom