What Size Tank To Get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing research for a while and I have decided to get a saltwater tank. I have had a freshwater tank for a while and think I am ready to start on saltwater. I want to get a tank that will also be able to hold coral. I don't have room for a super big tank so I know no big fish and no tangs unless the tank is very long, so I can only get small fish. My list so far is 2 oscellaris clownfish, 2 firefish (one red and one purple), 1 pj/ spotted cardinal, 1 neon blue goby, 1 kaudern's cardinal, and 1 yellow clown goby. I am thinking about adding maybe 3 more small fish, so if you can recommend a good sized tank for all this fish, I would be very grateful.

Not sure on what size for the list you have but if I had to suggest anything it would be to go as big as your pocket or pocketbook can support as long as it fits into the space you have for it.

I'd say anywhere from a minimum 29g and up in size. If you went with a 29g then that would be a stocked tank with no room for more fish.

I'd go with at least a 55 gallon, if not larger. Any mistakes you may make along the way won't be as noticable with the larger volume of water.

75g IMO is the best first tank. Adds much more width then a 55 allowing for much more stunning rockwork and also a better variety of fish. It is the same length and height as a standard 55, but 6" wider. This also allows you to fit a larger tank such as a 40 breeder in the stand as your sump

Thanks for the advice. If I were to get a 55 to 60 gallon tank with coral and live rock how many more small fish like goby or blenny do you think I would be able to put in there.

I have a 55g with 2x clowns, a bennet's puffer, a spotted cardinal, a rainsfords goby and a purple firefish and that is considered fully stocked by some. An under stocked or lightly stocked tank is going to be much easier to look after, if you want more fish - go bigger! Good news is your fish selection are all reef safe, do you plan on having corals?

Oh I see in your previous post you would like corals too! Lovely, best advice is do plenty of research, don't rush into anything and be prepared to drop some cash. It will be worth it though ;)

How many small 3 inch fish would I be able to keep in a 55 gallon. Tank as I am only planning on getting small fish?

You also have to remember, the bigger the tank, the stronger light your gonna need. Lights for coral get expensive. If you do a 29g or 36 bowfront then that stock plus no more fish will be perfect. The light will be smaller and cheaoer and upkeep will be a bit easier.

75g IMO is the best first tank. Adds much more width then a 55 allowing for much more stunning rockwork and also a better variety of fish. It is the same length and height as a standard 55, but 6" wider. This also allows you to fit a larger tank such as a 40 breeder in the stand as your sump

I agree with wicky its long enough and wider then a 55 plus it will allow you to probably get a tang and very nice rock work! and lots of coral

So if I get a 36 gallon tank I wouldn't be able to get any more small fish. If this is so, why would a 29 gallon which is smaller work just as well as a 36 gallon?

The shape and size dictate what can go in. And 6g a water isnt a very large increase anyways lol.

I'd do a 90 gal if you were think of a 70 or 75 because there the same dimensions 4 ft. long by 18" wide only thing is there a little higher.

Thanks. I think I will get a 37 gallon tank as my local pet store sells a full custom setup for a rwther reasonable price.

Thanks I think I will get a 37 gallon tank as my local pet store sells a complete setup for a reasonable price.

Tonedogs I agree but higher tank=stronger lights needed for corals. Figuring this is the OP's first tank, I don't think he wants to go and drop money on high quality LEDs, t5's, or halides. A 75 can be perfectly lit by the taotronics fixtures, IMO if you want sps all over the place in a 90g I would most definetly go with 2x maxspect razor. I'm not 100% sure what corals the OP is looking to keep, but that dictates the depth tank he could have and the lighting he would need.

I know what you mean, but you and I both know that somewhere down the line he's not going to be happy with the smaller tank and then he'll have to buy twice so he might as well get it now if he can afford it

The problem is I cant really get that big a tank because there is not much room for it. I think a 36 gallon will fit perfectly in the space I have available.

Agreed tonedogs. And to the OP, if that's what fits in the space you have then by all means go for it!

Back
Top Bottom