What size tank would you recommend for a first-time SW build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I won't be near getting another tank until Winter, but I'd like to get on the ball planning and researching which direction to go in! Since it will be my first SW build, I don't want to go with a full-reef, but mainly LR and a few easy to maintain, low light corals. (mushrooms, maybe)
I know that maintaining small SW tanks is more difficult, but which size do you think is the best for a first-time build/in general?
Also what shape? Rectangles, cubes, bowfronts, etc

I'm not disagreeing with getting as big as you can afford. But I started myself off with a 50 gallon FOWLR and it has helped me prep for the bigger tanks. It's gotten me use to the chemicals, water changes and has worked as a good introduction. That's always a goo route as a noob to SW tanks.

Definitely planning on going big!

I'm also going to do a Caribbean biotope if that makes a difference on size advice. :)

I'm planning on somewhere between 50-100gallons at this point.
Small enough to be a good start, while being big enough to house a nice amount of fish.

Haven't really thought about specific fish yet, but fish from the Caribbean. My family and I went on vacation to Aruba over the summer and the diving was definitely pretty inspiring for a SW tank. Since this tank is really going to be for my family (not me personally, I'm just the fish freak in the family haha) I thought it would be nice.

Heed the advice from everyone,..get a tank bigger than you have planned on getting,....otherwise in a few months down the line you're going to get a bigger tank anyway ,.. This way you'll actually save money. :)

My advice would be minimum of 70 gallons - typically 70 gallon minimum is the requirement on several fish, so it opens you up to many more options. I started with a 54 gallon, and I'm already planning for a much bigger set-up. 125+ gallons.

off to surf CL for a big tank!
Definitely don't want to go lower than 75 at this point.

I would go 70min. As stated above. A 75-90Gal Is a nice start. Alot of room to get use to the SW world. If you don't mind going over the 100Gal, there is the 110 show and the 125Gal tank. If I had to start all over I would deff go with a 125. I started out with a 75Gal tank, and now would love that extra 50Gal. Lol

Back
Top Bottom