What skimmer would be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 30 gal long tank with a ten gal sump and was wondering if there is any good skimmer out there for this. I don't have a lot of money and would like it under 100$. Thanks in advance

Look for used skimmers, a lot of times you can find a great one for a good price. I got a used coralife 65 ( wouldnt be my first choice, but works decent) for about $50. Its rated for up to 65, but over rating for a skimmer certainly isnt a bad thing.

I know that I would need to buy one rated for double my tank but I was looking for any good products. I have a sump but don't have much room in it.. It's a ten gallon here is a pic of it

hmm..that's a tough one. fitting a skimmer in there is going to be a P.I.T.A.
i think you can do without a skimmer on a tank that size. just keep all of your heaters and reactors and such in the sump and do your 20% weekly water changes and you should be fine.

Sheesh 20%? I've always done 10 for my frescoes but I guess that's a whole different ballgame. That would get pretty expensive for the salt right? And I'm sure id have to get a ro filter now. I couldnt even store that much water in my house without my parents killing me.

not really. about 6 gallons a week too expensive for you? that's barely more than a 5 gallon bucket. it's going to be hard to keep good parameters without some semblance of a water change schedule.

I guess your right. But im 14 and the money I get is from babysitting and nothing else. I pretty much dont spend Money anywhere else but this hobby. I could get a high of 50$ a month and a low of 35$ a month. I get 2$ an hour so a lot below min. wage for me till I'm 15-16. Would that be enough money to take care of it monthly. No water or electric bills for me so I can take that out.

lol. well, if you can buy a can of reef crystals (40 bucks give or take), that should last you about 6 months.

i do 5 gallons a week in my 26 gallon, and i've been to lazy to buy an RO/DI unit so i've been using distilled water from 5 gallon jugs. its really not to expensive but i'm still fighting my nitrates, they are at 20ppm. i'm running a oceanic skimmer but its not really doing much, but i prob have it setup wrong

I'm gonna have to use it another time then. What types of books do you write ? Sorry about being completely off track lol.

Back
Top Bottom