What Substrate Can Be Used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedonawrx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i've done a little research on this forum regarding they types of substrates you guys recommend. I want to find the cheapest / effective substrate that will help buffer the water. I read that you guys recommend Southdown sand which can be found at Home Depots? Is this sand as effective as aragonite?

Thanks Guys,
Adam

Actually, it is aragonite based sand, I believe. That is really what you want, the silica based can possibly give your sand sifters/stirrers problems. I like to get a lot of my Sand http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7321&N=2004+113554 from here, they don't charge extra for weight. I bought 270Lbs of sand a 72inch light and 150Lbs of salt, the shipping was $15.99. I get a lot of my dry goods from there. You could also go with CC, I had this but didn't like it getting so dirty and it limited my sand sifter/stirrers.

If it is araganite sand then you`ll be OK. I kind of like the more courser sand so it is not as easy to get blown away.

Back
Top Bottom