What tank to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

base13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gallon biocube and am ready to move up. I'm looking for a tank btween 70-125 gallon. I'm looking for advice on what to get. Glass or acrylic? What are the best brand names in fish aquariums? I really don't trust the LFS staff because I know what ever they have will be the "can't live without tank." I'm sure some for you have been talked into a tank that later you wise you didn't get. Help me please!!!

I currently have a 29 gallon biocube and am ready to move up. I'm looking for a tank btween 70-125 gallon. I'm looking for advice on what to get. Glass or acrylic? What are the best brand names in fish aquariums? I really don't trust the LFS staff because I know what ever they have will be the "can't live without tank." I'm sure some for you have been talked into a tank that later you wise you didn't get. Help me please!!!

Bigger the better. that is a pretty vague question. how big is the space you have to put it in. If you are going to do a 75 (48x18x21) you might as well do a 90 (same foot print 4 inches taller) the 90 looks alot bigger. a 4 foot 120 is very nice (48x24x24) but I prefer the 5 foot 120 (60x18x25) basicly a foot longer 90 or a 5 foot 150(60x24x25) . If you have 6 feet of space you might as well do a 180 (72x24x25) I wouldn't worry about name brand too much.

a 90 is ok with 1 overflow but look for 2 on anything bigger.

Acrylic is going to be clearer than glass (unless you pay the extra for the low iron glass) but it scratches easier. I have scratches along the sand line of my glass tank I can't image what it would look like if it were Acrylic.
That is something to think about.

What would I do.....Glass 5 foot 150 with Starfire glass on the front and sides. 2 back wall overflows....Someday.....

All good advice above. like mentioned, it really comes down to how much space you have.

Personally - I will never own an acrylic aquarium (just personal preference), and I'll never again buy a tank that is less than 24" deep (front to back)

Another very important thing to think about is where the tank is going to be and how much weight can your floor support. If your tank is going to be in the basement, go gung ho and go as big as you want, the cement slab will hold pretty much anything, but if your moving up to the first or second floor, you may want to consider re-enforcing the floor supports if you go over 75-90 gallons. The typical 125 gal aquarium weighs around 1400lbs filled and a 180 gallon aquarium weighs in at 2100lbs!

Just a little FYI, don't want you to fill it up then hear a loud crash in the middle of the night as the floor buckles.:shocked!:

I use glass only also. The 125 gallon tank will give you plenty of options as far as corals and fish go.

Back
Top Bottom