Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
What tests to run?

What are the elements that need to be tested for and what are the ideal levels for a LR Reef with fuge?

example- what is the proper amount of Calcium, KH etc..

sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
An established tank should be tested for pH, alkalinity, calcium, and occasionally nitrate and phosphate. I usually only test the latter two every month or so unless there is an algae bloom or some such. You should also have an ammonia and nitrite test on hand, these tests are needed when your tank is cycling and also useful to know when adding livestock that the bioload isn't too much for your tank.
As to the proper levels...
pH 8.0-8.3
alkalinity 2.5-4.0 meq/L or 7-11 dkh
calcium should be around 380-450ppm
ammonia, nitrite, phosphate and nitrate should all be undetectable.

Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a well established tank and I still test all the water parameters regularly. It is the first sign to indicate a problem within the tank. Tank size will determine how often you need to test. Smaller tanks require testing more often. As for the the importance of each test, I think they all need to stay in reccomanded range for a full balanced tank. One test out of sync can affect all the rest.

You can never have too many friends.
fishtender is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com