What the hell is that noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midol

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep hearing a popping noise from my tank.

I added live rock the other week but i have not seen one hitch hiker since (more than half was already cured) but i have been hearing a pop at random times.

is this a matis shrimp or something?

i may be wrong

but in my short time here,

I think its due to a pistol or a mantis shrimp

Correct me if I am wrong.

I hear it every now and then as well ... kinda like a "click-click"! I sat up last friday night to watch for my mysterious GLOWING creature (never seen it) and heard this "click-click" about 4 times!
I recently added a 5lb piece of LR from my LFS and it was harvested from the gulf ... I'm starting to wonder if it is a mantis or pistol?

Yeah I've read that ...

he must be real small because I haven't seen the likes of a mantis in my tank! If it was a mantis would it be possible for him to hide in the crevices of the rock that are almost un-noticable? I've searched evey noticable crevice and have not seen anything?

Same thing when I got my firefish but it was still in there.

I'm pretty sure I still have a mantis that I haven't seen in about 4 months. I think they can be very good about never being seen. Oddly enough, I haven't noticed any loss of life or damaged shells. I have no idea what he's been eating.

You'd be amazed at how far those crevices go into the rock. The tunnels can turn as well and it's no trouble at all for him to get out of sight.
You both may want to try the X-terminator trap. I know liveaquaria sells them but check with the sites sponsors as well. You might get a better deal.

I've searched evey noticable crevice and have not seen anything?
They are good hiders. I just discovered I have another one 11 months after adding my last batch of rock. Get a trap and see what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom