What the snail?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTrash

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I just got back from a two-week vacation. My neighbors were great and agreed to feed the fish (one green chromie and one bi-colored dottyback). In the tank I also had 10 margarita snails, 5 hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, and 2 emerald crabs (maybe only one, I did a water change right before I left and either one of the crabs had molted or died). The tank itself is a 28 gallon FOWLR (well, it was. I just got my first piece of coral - a zoanthid polyp :brows:)

So, now I'm back and after looking at the tank last night, I realized that none of the snails had moved. Interesting. I turned every single one of them around and THEY ARE ALL GONE! Every single one of them. Now, I've been able to find 3 hermit crabs and both fish are doing great. I checked the water parameters and everything is at 0, except phosphates which were at 0.25. I have no clue where the emerald crab(s) are, but I'll definitely want to look for them when I do another water change tomorrow. So, my question is, what in the world could have done this to my little snails? Five of the margarita snails were from my first fish purchase, and five were purchased a few days before I left as diathoms had developed. So, the only thing I can think of is that the emerald crab(s) went rogue on me. Does that seem plausible? Or does anybody have any idea as to what else could have happened to my poor snails? :confused:

Did you have your neighbors top off with fresh water? If it is only a 29 gallon with evaporation you could have a hefty salinity spike ifleft without top off. Snails could die due to fast salinity raising. only thing I can think of.

Ooooh, no!! I have a glass top so I didn't have a huge amount of evaporation, but it must have been enough. I can definitely rule out the emerald crab as I did a water change today and found it lodged between two rocks (my fault for doing a quick water change and rock-scaping before I left). Guess that's a lesson learned for me! Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom