What To Add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just work with a refugium for now..... with weekly water changes

really cheap to do, just put the macroalgae in the sump with a light source over it and leave it on and that's it.

later on start looking into a skimmer..... which can vary between 100-200 im guessing for your sized tank

There is no cheap way to reef my friend. You can budget, but can't go cheap

Yea. That I am aware of. I mean Im surrounded by it everyday. I just dont have the money to dump on a amazing show setup.... just something I can enjoy at home.

Im doind a 125g. I am going piece by piece so far. Building the stand, buying rock as I go. Then ill start with a piece a week. One week lights, then skimmer, then pump, then sump and I should be all set

yea just go step by step. just hook up the sump with a return pump and setup a refugium inside the sump and if you want cheap lighting for corals, you could look into a few t5s.... but from what ive heard leds are better way to go as you don't have to replace the bulbs and they normally work better with lps apparently and use less electricity.... the sound a lot better but they are normally a lot more expensive than t5s.

and just buy some live rock and substrate and AWAYYYY YOU GOOOO!!!

then just start slowly upgrading from there... like a bigger sump.... better lighting.... more filtration (skimmer/uv sterilizer/reactors, etc) if you really want to

Could someone build a checklist for me then please? I wanna make sure I dont miss anything. I wanna do it step by step and I think a check list of all equipment includeing sump equipment that necassary and also optional equipment is what is going to work best in getting this reef built. thanks all I appreciate it!

Live rock: 1-2ibs per gallon
Suibstrate: 2" deep would keep you out of trouble. different people recommend different things, majority recommend aragonite, I personally have crushed coral though
Return pump: 15x your water capacity
Lighting: either t5s or leds for the tank
Refugium lighting: some sort of small lighting (leds would be better considering this would be on all the time)
Testing kit: nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, phos and a refractometer

Oh and salt lol

I think that's about it for the basics, unless im missing anything?

Rodi system, and power head, heater, bucket for mixing salt water

I'm not sure if it's a typo but $25 for the 40g with lights, do it and take the 55g. Use one as a display and the other as the sump. Personally I would use the 40 for display and the 55 as the sump. I have a 55g sump under my 90g and it's a good size with a big refugium section and holds a monster skimmer.

Hmm... I might do that. Im going to have to ask my buddy if that would be a good idea, and if it would be cool with him. Thanks

Having the 55g as a sump would also be sufficient down the road if you upgrade to a larger display. The only
Reason I say the 55 as a sump is due to it being acrylic, scratches don't look nice in a display tank

Yea, thats really the only problem I have with the 55. My favorite tanks have gotta be 55g, 40g breeder, and perfect square tanks. And I hate acrylic :) Also with me, since im in the reef business, I dont upgrade, I set up another aquarium. I might use one of the tanks for rainbow fish or something.

Honestly I started with a 55g and it sucked. Try setting up a rock scape in it. Much better use as a sump IMO. The front to back dimension is what kills it. The 40g depending on the dimensions would be much better if it's a breeder. If not being that the 55 is acrylic it would go below to prevent looking at scratches. It is a good size sump for pretty much anything hence my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom