What To Add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting a 40 gallon reef. I want to add fish and corals one by one. I want help decideing what to add o. this thread. 1st things first, the must have, it may be a tight fit but I believe can be done, a young One-Spot Foxface. Does anyone think that this is a really bad idea? Im in love with this fish!

I agree with that being too small for a Foxface. A 40g will have limitations, but there are plenty of fish that will thrive in that size.

I always advise going and checking out liveaquaria.com. They have lots of info on every fish, tank size recommendations, compatibility with other fish, etcetera. They tend to suggest larger tanks than other sites, but going larger can't hurt. Going too small absolutely can. When you get a list of "likes", run it by here for feedback and even what order to add them.

I would do a royal gramma, clownfish, and green chromis etc. these are all hardy and beautiful fish. If you have any questions on these fish just pm me!

J8kpin

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually an advocate of not putting fish in inappropriate sized tanks but foxface a literally grow slower than molasses. A small one like 2" should be fine for quite a while. Chromis stink they die off eventually 1 by 1. How about something cool like a goby/shrimp pair, 2 clowns a chalk bass and a Midas blenny.

Heres what I had in mind... Though I feel its overstocked... Id die and go to heaven if I had these lil guys in my house!!!!
Yasha + pistol shrimp pair
Black snowflake clown pair
Foxface
Flame Angel
Also I can get ahold of a 55 gallon if need be.

Yea no chromis... Like what was said.... We have green chomis die off one by one at work... yet, people still buy them...

I had a one spot fox face in my 46 bow front and it did awesome. I think you should be alright as long as you buy a small one. Mine grew quit quickly I bought two around the same size and one grew really slowly like normal but the other grew very quick I mean it was almost 6 in after 6 months I got them about when they were 2 in

Yea would agree with most people here..... for the long run a foxface wouldnt be adequate.... they grow quite large... saw one the other day at my LFS that looked about 15" long but if you get it small then you shouldn't have a problem until it gets bigger then maybe time to look at an upgrade.

Flame angel is an awesome fish although they may have a go at a few corals now and again.... it wouldn't destroy the corals I wouldn't think... but might nip at them now and again.

Yea ive done a good deal of research when it comes to the stock list. The only thing that is equally diefferent all the time is the foxface... Soo many say yea, soo many say no. I would have no problem rehoming the fox. I do work at a reef store :) and I would order a 2 inch or so, one-spot foxface.

If you buy it small and don't keep it long, it might be okay. The mistake that a lot of people make in scenarios like this is that they say they will rehome it later, but they wait until the fish is already too large or health issues arise and then decide to rehome. IMO, the damage has already been done and the fish will likely not do well in the new home. If you absolutely have to get one, get rid of it sooner than later.

My LFS had a huge Foxface last week too. Probably close to a foot long and thick body. I'm not sure I've ever seen one that large before.

The other concern for rehoming is sometimes it may be difficult to catch and may require removing most or all of your corals and rock which can be a pain. It's hard enough setting up rock the way you want it the first time as well as placing your corals where you want them and then there is having to adjust powerheads again. Just not worth it.

Honestly I feel that I can accomplish the foxface. I really think itll be alright. Imma try it, I mean, it is my favorite fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom