Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What to add to make good for corals

I've finally got my sump up and running and I think I'm ready to start introducing corals. Is there a water additive that contains all the necessary things to support corals available, or must each thing be added separately?

55 gal tank w/ 20 gal long sump w/ 125 gal skimmer
65 lbs live rock one 350 gph powerhead for current
stock- 3 blue chromis, 2 yellow chromis, 2 damsels, 1 mushroom coral
parameters- AM 0, PH 0, trites 0, trates 30, salt 1.025

just got the skimmer going so hope to have reduced nitrates soon.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just doing water changes will give the corals everything they need, no need to add anything else.

A skimmer can help with nitrates in a way but water changes are still the best way to reduce them. If you are looking at doing a reef you will have toget in the habit of doing frequent water changes as 30ppm of nitrates will affect them.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by settles4 View Post
I've finally got my sump up and running and I think I'm ready to start introducing corals. Is there a water additive that contains all the necessary things to support corals available, or must each thing be added separately?

55 gal tank w/ 20 gal long sump w/ 125 gal skimmer
65 lbs live rock one 350 gph powerhead for current
stock- 3 blue chromis, 2 yellow chromis, 2 damsels, 1 mushroom coral
parameters- AM 0, PH 0, trites 0, trates 30, salt 1.025

just got the skimmer going so hope to have reduced nitrates soon.
Your salt mix and lighting has everything your corals need to grow. I'd look into a calcium/alkalinity/magnesium test kit as well.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think you should add another power head. One 350gph power head for a 55 is not much flow. I would have at least 2 x 1000 gph to start with. the better the flow in your tank, the healthier it will be. More flow means less particulate matter reaching the sand bed before it can be removed by your filtration.
Also, Bribo brought up an important component- lighting. What lighting are you running?
Old 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

first thing before adding any corals I would get those nitrates down 30 ppm is very high for coral , that can be easily done by doing 1 or 2 big water changes , I take it your tank is still young under 6 months I would steer away from expensive corals till your tank has some maturity , some good starter corals are softies zoa's shrooms leathers ect , these are easy starters lighting is another factor this will be the deciding factor on what you can and can't keep , if you have questions about lighting you may want to ask Mr X he seems to always have the best answers and would never steer you wrong
as for maintenance trates need to remain lower than 10 ppm the closer to 0 ppm the better
most salts contain all thats needed to maintain this type of coral as long as you do your weekly maintenance / water changes
Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
first thing before adding any corals I would get those nitrates down 30 ppm is very high for coral , that can be easily done by doing 1 or 2 big water changes , I take it your tank is still young under 6 months I would steer away from expensive corals till your tank has some maturity , some good starter corals are softies zoa's shrooms leathers ect , these are easy starters lighting is another factor this will be the deciding factor on what you can and can't keep , if you have questions about lighting you may want to ask Mr X he seems to always have the best answers and would never steer you wrong as for maintenance trates need to remain lower than 10 ppm the closer to 0 ppm the better most salts contain all thats needed to maintain this type of coral as long as you do your weekly maintenance / water changes
Water changes is the best and easiest way to export excessive nutrients .
Water changes , and not over feeding .
Stocking too fast will also contribute .
My only question before you add any corals is what lighting do you have ?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #7

The tank has been running for about three months. I'm running a Beams Work 4x18 (72 bulbs) LED light fixture. The LFS said it would support anything I might want to grow, including clams. I've been doing weekly water changes of 4 gal. I was under the impression that the calcium and/or magnesium had to be added.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by settles4 View Post
The tank has been running for about three months. I'm running a Beams Work 4x18 (72 bulbs) LED light fixture. The LFS said it would support anything I might want to grow, including clams. I've been doing weekly water changes of 4 gal. I was under the impression that the calcium and/or magnesium had to be added.
Nope your salt contains all the calcium, alk and magnesium you need for now. I had a beams works led and to be honest it may support sps and clams but I doubt sps will look good under it. I loved the light, it's just more of an lps softy light. A deresa or squamosa clam would probably look fine under it though
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I couldn't find a 4 x 18 led fixture, but if you have this one-
BeamsWork HI LUMEN LED Light Fixture 3W Quad Power 48" (TR)
You should be ok. SPS towards the top 1/3 of the tank.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I couldn't find a 4 x 18 led fixture, but if you have this one-
BeamsWork HI LUMEN LED Light Fixture 3W Quad Power 48" (TR)
You should be ok. SPS towards the top 1/3 of the tank.
That looks like what I have though I paid much more for it. So maybe another powerhead, get the nitrates down and I should be good to go?

settles4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com