What to add to make good for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

settles4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've finally got my sump up and running and I think I'm ready to start introducing corals. Is there a water additive that contains all the necessary things to support corals available, or must each thing be added separately?

55 gal tank w/ 20 gal long sump w/ 125 gal skimmer
65 lbs live rock one 350 gph powerhead for current
stock- 3 blue chromis, 2 yellow chromis, 2 damsels, 1 mushroom coral
parameters- AM 0, PH 0, trites 0, trates 30, salt 1.025

just got the skimmer going so hope to have reduced nitrates soon.

Just doing water changes will give the corals everything they need, no need to add anything else.

A skimmer can help with nitrates in a way but water changes are still the best way to reduce them. If you are looking at doing a reef you will have toget in the habit of doing frequent water changes as 30ppm of nitrates will affect them.

I've finally got my sump up and running and I think I'm ready to start introducing corals. Is there a water additive that contains all the necessary things to support corals available, or must each thing be added separately?

55 gal tank w/ 20 gal long sump w/ 125 gal skimmer
65 lbs live rock one 350 gph powerhead for current
stock- 3 blue chromis, 2 yellow chromis, 2 damsels, 1 mushroom coral
parameters- AM 0, PH 0, trites 0, trates 30, salt 1.025

just got the skimmer going so hope to have reduced nitrates soon.

Your salt mix and lighting has everything your corals need to grow. I'd look into a calcium/alkalinity/magnesium test kit as well.

I think you should add another power head. One 350gph power head for a 55 is not much flow. I would have at least 2 x 1000 gph to start with. the better the flow in your tank, the healthier it will be. More flow means less particulate matter reaching the sand bed before it can be removed by your filtration.
Also, Bribo brought up an important component- lighting. What lighting are you running?

first thing before adding any corals I would get those nitrates down 30 ppm is very high for coral , that can be easily done by doing 1 or 2 big water changes , I take it your tank is still young under 6 months I would steer away from expensive corals till your tank has some maturity , some good starter corals are softies zoa's shrooms leathers ect , these are easy starters lighting is another factor this will be the deciding factor on what you can and can't keep , if you have questions about lighting you may want to ask Mr X he seems to always have the best answers and would never steer you wrong
as for maintenance trates need to remain lower than 10 ppm the closer to 0 ppm the better
most salts contain all thats needed to maintain this type of coral as long as you do your weekly maintenance / water changes

first thing before adding any corals I would get those nitrates down 30 ppm is very high for coral , that can be easily done by doing 1 or 2 big water changes , I take it your tank is still young under 6 months I would steer away from expensive corals till your tank has some maturity , some good starter corals are softies zoa's shrooms leathers ect , these are easy starters lighting is another factor this will be the deciding factor on what you can and can't keep , if you have questions about lighting you may want to ask Mr X he seems to always have the best answers and would never steer you wrong as for maintenance trates need to remain lower than 10 ppm the closer to 0 ppm the better most salts contain all thats needed to maintain this type of coral as long as you do your weekly maintenance / water changes

Water changes is the best and easiest way to export excessive nutrients .
Water changes , and not over feeding .
Stocking too fast will also contribute .
My only question before you add any corals is what lighting do you have ?

The tank has been running for about three months. I'm running a Beams Work 4x18 (72 bulbs) LED light fixture. The LFS said it would support anything I might want to grow, including clams. I've been doing weekly water changes of 4 gal. I was under the impression that the calcium and/or magnesium had to be added.

The tank has been running for about three months. I'm running a Beams Work 4x18 (72 bulbs) LED light fixture. The LFS said it would support anything I might want to grow, including clams. I've been doing weekly water changes of 4 gal. I was under the impression that the calcium and/or magnesium had to be added.

Nope your salt contains all the calcium, alk and magnesium you need for now. I had a beams works led and to be honest it may support sps and clams but I doubt sps will look good under it. I loved the light, it's just more of an lps softy light. A deresa or squamosa clam would probably look fine under it though

Will do, thanks everyone for the info and input. Will probably be bringing home a new coral today! Oh and some more clean up crew

Here are some pics of the tank and new inhabitants. What kind of coral is the last one?

Attachments

• tank pic.jpg
    tank pic.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 65
  • anenome 1.jpg
    anenome 1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 190
  • zoa.jpg
    zoa.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 81
  • fishtale coral.jpg
    fishtale coral.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 197
and the sump

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 67
That anemone doesn't look happy. Not attaching it's foot to something is not a good sign. how long have you had it?

That anemone doesn't look happy. Not attaching it's foot to something is not a good sign. how long have you had it?

He attached his foot and moved from where we placed him to this spot in the shade and out of the current. He took a piece of krill the first evening and we haven't attempted to feed since. Was going to try again this evening

Back
Top Bottom