What to do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 30 gal. setup for a couple of years and always had trouble keeping fish. I did not have LR in the setup only large coral pieces and CC. I was also running a UV sterilizer. After months and months and dollar after dollar I gave up on the setup. The tanks is still up and running but there are no critters in the tank.

I have now bought a 90 gal. tank and looking to set it up. Planning on doing LRWFO and using the coral pieces I already have, with possibly using the 30 gal. tank as a sump.

Not sure on the substrate to use or type of powerhead or pump I should get. Any advice would be a help.

BTW, can the water from the 30 gal be used with no cycling or do I have to start over.

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I would say the first thing to do is identify why you were having so many problems with your 30 gal so you do not repeat that with your new 90. Using the 30 for a sump is a great idea. As far as substrate goes, LS seems to be the prefered substrate out there right now. It helps in water parameter stability and needs no maintanance (CC requires more time and attention). You will not beable to avoid a cycle by using the exsisiting water. The beneficial bacteria that you develope during a cycle live in the substrate and on the LR, not in the water. I would just start from scratch. As for pumps...3 Maxi-jet 1200 powerheads in the main will provide you with great movement and a Mag Drive 7 or 9.5 will be a great return pump from the sump. I might also suggest gettinga good book if you do not already have one. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Check out www.liverocks.com for some of the best LR available. Good luck and keep stopping by AA! Lando

Thanks for the response Lando.

Is it possible to use less LR and an equal amount of the large coral pieces and will these pieces become "Live" like the rock. I have spent a good deal of money on the coral and would like to lessen the amount of LR I have to buy.
Any advice on making and plumbing the sump would also be helpful. The new tank will be reef ready.

Thanks in advance

If the coral is attached to a live rock which many are, then that counts as lr. You can also save a little by buying base rock and a few good peices of lr to seed the base with. It doesn't have to be all of the most expensive kind.

What exactly is this 'coral' you keep mentioning? bleached out pieces of dead coral?

technically, yes they will get seeded with beneficial bacteria.

You can indeed use 15-20% live rock, and the rest can be 'dead' base rock. it too will get seeded with bacteria, and the colorful coraline algae.

I wouldn't worry so much about 'live' sand...rather just focus on getting some aragonite based sand, like carib sea's Aragamax sand. You don't want silica sand (common sandbox sand).

Back
Top Bottom