Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boolay1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
What to do with my sump

Bought a 300L AquaOne reef tank with sump. The sump has bio balls in the middle chamber should I change this if so what should I put in it the the water will flow through to the bottom?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2667994175.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	140716
__________________

__________________
Boolay1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Watervliet, NY
Posts: 150
Salt or Freshwater? If Reef, LR and Cheato. Freshwater depends upon fish requirements.
__________________

__________________
MaiTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boolay1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTank View Post
Salt or Freshwater? If Reef, LR and Cheato. Freshwater depends upon fish requirements.
It's saltwater? Should I put a deep sand bed in?
__________________
Boolay1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phishfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH,VA
Posts: 1,527
You could install a bulkhead on the right side about half and inch away from the other divider and make a refugium
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phishfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Watervliet, NY
Posts: 150
I would say live rock for sure. rubble
__________________
MaiTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Bioballs will make a great BB surface to colonize but after the tank runs for a while they will begin trapping lots of debris which leads to high nitrAtes a lot of time meaning frequent cleanings of your bio balls. Because of that people choose rock instead since the insides harbor anaerobic bacteria which is one of the last stages in the nitrogen cycle. The deep sand bed will also create a safe haven for that bacteria but you'll need atleast 5-6" of sand. I would just do what was already stated and replace them with a bunch of rock and macro algae. As for the deep sand bed if you want one I would run it in your DT where it will be more effective.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolay1978 View Post
Bought a 300L AquaOne reef tank with sump. The sump has bio balls in the middle chamber should I change this if so what should I put in it the the water will flow through to the bottom?
Id put a fugi in there if you have lr and ls in dt theres no need for it in sump lots of room for macro
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boolay1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Bioballs will make a great BB surface to colonize but after the tank runs for a while they will begin trapping lots of debris which leads to high nitrAtes a lot of time meaning frequent cleanings of your bio balls. Because of that people choose rock instead since the insides harbor anaerobic bacteria which is one of the last stages in the nitrogen cycle. The deep sand bed will also create a safe haven for that bacteria but you'll need atleast 5-6" of sand. I would just do what was already stated and replace them with a bunch of rock and macro algae. As for the deep sand bed if you want one I would run it in your DT where it will be more effective.
Sorry for sounding daft, what do you mean by DT?
__________________
Boolay1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolay1978 View Post

Sorry for sounding daft, what do you mean by DT?
Display tank
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.