What to do with my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought a 300L AquaOne reef tank with sump. The sump has bio balls in the middle chamber should I change this if so what should I put in it the the water will flow through to the bottom?

image-2667994175.jpg

Bioballs will make a great BB surface to colonize but after the tank runs for a while they will begin trapping lots of debris which leads to high nitrAtes a lot of time meaning frequent cleanings of your bio balls. Because of that people choose rock instead since the insides harbor anaerobic bacteria which is one of the last stages in the nitrogen cycle. The deep sand bed will also create a safe haven for that bacteria but you'll need atleast 5-6" of sand. I would just do what was already stated and replace them with a bunch of rock and macro algae. As for the deep sand bed if you want one I would run it in your DT where it will be more effective.

Bought a 300L AquaOne reef tank with sump. The sump has bio balls in the middle chamber should I change this if so what should I put in it the the water will flow through to the bottom?

Id put a fugi in there if you have lr and ls in dt theres no need for it in sump lots of room for macro

Bioballs will make a great BB surface to colonize but after the tank runs for a while they will begin trapping lots of debris which leads to high nitrAtes a lot of time meaning frequent cleanings of your bio balls. Because of that people choose rock instead since the insides harbor anaerobic bacteria which is one of the last stages in the nitrogen cycle. The deep sand bed will also create a safe haven for that bacteria but you'll need atleast 5-6" of sand. I would just do what was already stated and replace them with a bunch of rock and macro algae. As for the deep sand bed if you want one I would run it in your DT where it will be more effective.

Sorry for sounding daft, what do you mean by DT?

Back
Top Bottom