what to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacheco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a blonde naso, yellow tang, two clowns and 5 damsels. what is the best food for them. I tried to make my own but they won't touch it. I am feeding them frozen brine shrimp and formual 1&2 and hanging seaweed for them now and they are eating fine should I be feeding them any thing more?

Brine shirmp isn't healthy for them. From what I gather its the junk food of fish food. I feed mine Mysis and Formula Two soaked in Vita and Vita Chem.

HTH

I feed my crew formula 1, 2 & Prime reef, Mysis, and nori for the tangs. I feed every other day and hang the nori on the off days. Soak the foods in selcon once a week for extra vitamins and garlic on the other days.

I didnt know brine shrimp was not good food for fish... I have heard it is like the only thing some fish will eat. Can you give me more info on this?

Can you give me more info on this

Potato chips for fish. No nutritional value. Waste of calories! They'll eat it, but it isn't healthy. Best to wean a fish off onto mysis if all they will eat is brine. HTH.

The only time brine has any nutritional value is when they first hatch and still have their yolksac or when you gutload live brine shrimp (and then all of the nutrition is in what you gutloaded them with). Brine shrimp have always been compared to feeding fish popcorn. I occasionaly use brine (kind of a treat type thing) but usually use krill, mysis, cyclopeeze (for frozen), and nori, formula one and two, prime reef, and spirulina for dry/flake. I try to use a different food almost everytime I feed to keep the fish interested and to give variety. With variety I feel like you have a better chance of not missing something the fish need. HTH, Skip

brine shrimp

I read an article that if you feed your fish newly hatched brine shrimp or shrimp raised on a high protein diet they are healthy other wise just like a candy bar(or popcorn,or chips) I have raised my own brine shrimp and using the center of a hard boiled egg to feed the brine shrimp. I noticed a good stock of brine shrimp that seemed to be good for my fish, but I still only gave it as a snack. I was going to raise sea horses so I was trying to raise a healthy stock of brine shrimp. that became too time consuming so I scrapped that idea., but it looks like everyone gave good advice as far as foods go.

Easy remedy, buy mysis shrimp instead. Much better food.
Also try some of the San Fransisco brand foods like marine crusine.

I agree, stop the brine and start some mysis. You can try soaking the food in a garlic product like GarlicGuard. This is suppose to stimulate appatite and boos the immune system. Vita Chem, as mentioned is also a great suppliment as is Selcon. Just soak the thawed mysis in that before feeding the tank. You can even add some good quality flake like Prime Reef and Spirulina. You may need to try several foods to fins one the fish will like.

Back
Top Bottom