What to feed a O. Clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got my O. Clown at the LFS yesterday and today he seems to be loving life and swiming around in my tank and i tried to feed him the food i got which is Nutrafin Max Slow Sinking Morsels and he seems to be hungry and go after them but he spits em back out and doesnt like em ..... so he is obviously hungry so what food should i try tha he would like or wait and see if he warms up to this ... TIA

Ray

Try asking the LFS what they were feeding it. Brine shrimp has little to no nutritional value and isn't a good staple food. Mysid would be a much better choice. My clowns I've had for years and they don't have a fancy diet. I feed them some frozen mysid, cylcops and flakes. They also nibble on nori that I add to the tank for my blenny and get a treat of live black worms once a week (everybody loves them :) ) HTH

I agree with fluff on giving them mysid instead of brine shrimp. I feed mine garlic soaked mysis and then every once in a while I feed them Formula two. I dont like adding the flakes because they can fowl up the water.

Thats funny casue today i went back to the LFS to get some food and ask what they were feeding them and they said frozen brine shrimp but when he pointed it out to me it said mysis so thats what i got ..... and there was one O Clown that was left in the tank (there were 2 when i got the one yesterday) and i just couldnt stand him and mine being alone and apart so i got him so now i have 2 O. Clowns and the right food to feed em i guess so thats good ..... side note how to u defrost or whatever the frozen food and feed it to em .... TIA

Ray

Use a bit of RO/DI water to thaw it in, then drain most of the water off before feeding it out. This will remove a good bit of the phosphates that could cause algae issues for you. HTH

Just to add to what everyone else already said, my Ocellaris get OSI Marine Flakes and Frozen Food. I vary between brine, squid, and mysis. They love them all.

umm a salt newbie here, dont hammer me if im way off, but would rinsing it under tap water, and puttingit in the tank be that bad? i do it for my bloodworms and brineshrimp

dont hammer me if im way off, but would rinsing it under tap water, and puttingit in the tank be that bad?
No hammering here. It would depend on if your tap has chlorine or other chemicals in it.
As Devilishturtles said, you can use tank water.
Personally, I put mine in a glass, add garlic/zoe/selcon and let it soak for about 30 minutes, so I don't use water at all.

i meant, heres what i do, take a chunk of brineshrimp, toss it in a fish net, and rinse it over the sink, with tap water, and dump it in the fish tank, you'd only be getting a couple drops tap water max. is this not ok for sw?

Seems like it'd be alot easier to just put it in a cup with tank or ro/di.

Like roka said though, I'd be concerned about the chemicals. If you live off a well though, I doubt you have to worry about that.

I feed my True Percula SF Bay Emerald Entree. I was told they were omnivores and need both meats and plants for proper nutrition.

I feed mine every other day and he eats like a pig. I have to spot feed my shrimp goby / pistol shrimp combo because he eats everything before it gets to the bottom. I've tried feeding more often and it doesn't help. He'll eat as long as I'm putting food in the tank.

Here are the ingredients of Emerald Entree:
Artemia Franciscana, mysis, krill, plankton, spinach, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, spirulina algae, menhaden oil, sodium alginate, Vitamin premix: wheat flour, Vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, inositol, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, betaine, d-alpha mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E)

HTH,
Rob

Back
Top Bottom