Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin View Post
So I went to PetCo. Saw the 55 gallon thats 55 bucks. It is huge! I only have that 5 gallon tank and I've got so used to it that I feel like its big. Then I saw the 55 gallon, holy smokes!

Anywho, my gf said I should get the 55 gallon. But if thats the case, ill have to get a sump too right? So can someone help me with the things I will need to purchase and what are some good products specifically?

I'll do some research on how to build a sump..

One question though. The 55 gallon is an aqueon tank. It has that black rim around the top. Is that going to be a problem at all? I know a lot of people advocate for the rimless tanks. So is having a tank with a rim going to be an issue?
It's more of a preference. Most people like the look of a rimless.

A sump has a lot of benefits. It also allows more water volume and natural filtration. Another big benefit is that your display becomes an actual display without things hanging every which way, and also in your sump, you can easily convert it to a refugium which will do nothing but benefit everything.

More than likely your tank is not going to be drilled. You will need an overflow that will allow water to go up and over the rim, then down to your sump and/or refugium. A hose can then be attached to allow water to go where you want and not just anywhere. Then, on your pump, a hose will bring it back up to the display allowing more flow to your display and thus finishing the circle. Water will not overflow faster than being pumped as long as your overflow is larger than your pump output (if that made sense). You want to pick your pump, then make sure that the overflow can far exceed its return capacity. It should not be hard at all with a 55. Also on that return line from the pump to the display, something that I always do is add a flow stop valve that can help tone down the return if its too much.
I know it's a lot but I hope this helps. There's a whole lot that goes into just plumbing a new tank. Making sure things are done right the first time in order to help in the long run.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
It's more of a preference. Most people like the look of a rimless.

A sump has a lot of benefits. It also allows more water volume and natural filtration. Another big benefit is that your display becomes an actual display without things hanging every which way, and also in your sump, you can easily convert it to a refugium which will do nothing but benefit everything.

More than likely your tank is not going to be drilled. You will need an overflow that will allow water to go up and over the rim, then down to your sump and/or refugium. A hose can then be attached to allow water to go where you want and not just anywhere. Then, on your pump, a hose will bring it back up to the display allowing more flow to your display and thus finishing the circle. Water will not overflow faster than being pumped as long as your overflow is larger than your pump output (if that made sense). You want to pick your pump, then make sure that the overflow can far exceed its return capacity. It should not be hard at all with a 55. Also on that return line from the pump to the display, something that I always do is add a flow stop valve that can help tone down the return if its too much.
I know it's a lot but I hope this helps. There's a whole lot that goes into just plumbing a new tank. Making sure things are done right the first time in order to help in the long run.
Is there any issue with an overflow on a rimmed tank? That will still work right?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes of course, they are designed to work with both. There are a few designs for sumps and refugiums you can go with as well. Do some research and I would make your own. Much easier and probably 1/10 the price. In just finishing a 90 gallon Fuge and sump with different chambers for everything and its cost me around 75 bucks. The tank was only 45 and the glass and silicone was under 30 for everything. Would have been well over 500 bucks if I had one made and it would have to been custom.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com