What to get!? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searchin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am coming up on a new job and will be starting a second reef tank! I want to know what everyone thinks about products. I am looking for good prices on quality items. I also haven't decided on size yet so I am interested in some arguments. The range of tank size I would like is between 20 and 40. I guess what would decide the tank size is the argument for protein skimmer. I don't want to be so large that I have to have a protein skimmer, yet I want to be as large as possible! What do you guys think? I have heard many times that 30 gallons is the threshold.

Or if you can argue for me to get an even larger tank, what cheap (yet effective) protein skimmer would you recommend?

I know that I am going to go with taotronic dimmables for the lighting.

What are you favorite powerhead brands? I currently have a Koralia in my nano and I'm happy with that purchase.

As for sand, I think I'm going to go with ocean direct regular grain. Then add some large chunks of black sand/ mini rocks to add contrast.

Thanks in advance!

Go big. A lot of people will start small and quickly want something larger. I've had my 75 for a year and have wanted something 180-300g since shortly after getting it. :). Bigger gives more fish options. If you just want little ones, it doesn't matter as much.

I like the Hydor Koralias for the money.

Go big. A lot of people will start small and quickly want something larger. I've had my 75 for a year and have wanted something 180-300g since shortly after getting it. :). Bigger gives more fish options. If you just want little ones, it doesn't matter as much.

I like the Hydor Koralias for the money.

I started with a 60 and turned that into a reef. Shortly after I upgraded to my 135. The larger tank is much easier to maintain and adding a skimmer is just going to make your life easier. I would go with at least a 60. If you are looking to stay with a 3 foot platform, you can get what is called a 60 gallon breeder which states at 36 inches wide, but is a full 60 gallons.

The hydor koralias are great power heads.

Well I can't go too big right away. My living accommodations aren't permanent. I'm getting a job for the next 12 months. Soooo I don't want to hassle with a huge tank just yet. I want to keep it between 30 and 60 ish. I guess what I'm trying to ask has to do with a protein skimmer. I am not a fan of Hang on the back filtration. I guess I'm a little OCD but I hate to see cords or anything. So until I can get a sump, I was trying to avoid the need for excessive products to maintain my tank.

Is there a way to hide the cords or skimmers or filtration systems?

Or what size tank is the largest I can get without getting all that extra stuff that most people would put in a sump?

Well from seeing them through the back you could put a background on your tank. You could get some PVC pipe and put them through that and paint it to match surroundings or something like that. Sorry I don't have any info on the skimmer or anything. Also, keep in mind that, if this tank is big enough, you could use it as the sump for your next tank if you choose to.

Is there a standard tank size used for sumps? I hear many people say they have a 55 gallon for a sump. Anyone think I could get away with a 55 without a skimmer!?

Well I can't go too big right away. My living accommodations aren't permanent. I'm getting a job for the next 12 months. Soooo I don't want to hassle with a huge tank just yet. I want to keep it between 30 and 60 ish. I guess what I'm trying to ask has to do with a protein skimmer. I am not a fan of Hang on the back filtration. I guess I'm a little OCD but I hate to see cords or anything. So until I can get a sump, I was trying to avoid the need for excessive products to maintain my tank.

Is there a way to hide the cords or skimmers or filtration systems?

Or what size tank is the largest I can get without getting all that extra stuff that most people would put in a sump?

Well I'm married to a huge OCD! My wife hates to see anything left out or anything at all besides the display. Having a sump makes your life so much easier, plus you can throw more live rock or even busy out a refugium. They are worth it IMO.

With a sump it's much easier to hide all your cords and other media.

I wouldn't go bigger than 20 without a sump.

Well don't twist my arm but I guess I might have to take advantage of petcos $1=1gallon deal and get two haha. My gf isn't going to like this but I'm definitely giving it more thought.

Just curious, is the protein skimmer only necessary if I add fish? Otherwise what would I have to worry about decomposing?

So I went to PetCo. Saw the 55 gallon thats 55 bucks. It is huge! I only have that 5 gallon tank and I've got so used to it that I feel like its big. Then I saw the 55 gallon, holy smokes!

Anywho, my gf said I should get the 55 gallon. But if thats the case, ill have to get a sump too right? So can someone help me with the things I will need to purchase and what are some good products specifically?

I'll do some research on how to build a sump..

One question though. The 55 gallon is an aqueon tank. It has that black rim around the top. Is that going to be a problem at all? I know a lot of people advocate for the rimless tanks. So is having a tank with a rim going to be an issue?

So I went to PetCo. Saw the 55 gallon thats 55 bucks. It is huge! I only have that 5 gallon tank and I've got so used to it that I feel like its big. Then I saw the 55 gallon, holy smokes!

Anywho, my gf said I should get the 55 gallon. But if thats the case, ill have to get a sump too right? So can someone help me with the things I will need to purchase and what are some good products specifically?

I'll do some research on how to build a sump..

One question though. The 55 gallon is an aqueon tank. It has that black rim around the top. Is that going to be a problem at all? I know a lot of people advocate for the rimless tanks. So is having a tank with a rim going to be an issue?

It's more of a preference. Most people like the look of a rimless.

A sump has a lot of benefits. It also allows more water volume and natural filtration. Another big benefit is that your display becomes an actual display without things hanging every which way, and also in your sump, you can easily convert it to a refugium which will do nothing but benefit everything.

More than likely your tank is not going to be drilled. You will need an overflow that will allow water to go up and over the rim, then down to your sump and/or refugium. A hose can then be attached to allow water to go where you want and not just anywhere. Then, on your pump, a hose will bring it back up to the display allowing more flow to your display and thus finishing the circle. Water will not overflow faster than being pumped as long as your overflow is larger than your pump output (if that made sense). You want to pick your pump, then make sure that the overflow can far exceed its return capacity. It should not be hard at all with a 55. Also on that return line from the pump to the display, something that I always do is add a flow stop valve that can help tone down the return if its too much.
I know it's a lot but I hope this helps. There's a whole lot that goes into just plumbing a new tank. Making sure things are done right the first time in order to help in the long run.

It's more of a preference. Most people like the look of a rimless.

A sump has a lot of benefits. It also allows more water volume and natural filtration. Another big benefit is that your display becomes an actual display without things hanging every which way, and also in your sump, you can easily convert it to a refugium which will do nothing but benefit everything.

More than likely your tank is not going to be drilled. You will need an overflow that will allow water to go up and over the rim, then down to your sump and/or refugium. A hose can then be attached to allow water to go where you want and not just anywhere. Then, on your pump, a hose will bring it back up to the display allowing more flow to your display and thus finishing the circle. Water will not overflow faster than being pumped as long as your overflow is larger than your pump output (if that made sense). You want to pick your pump, then make sure that the overflow can far exceed its return capacity. It should not be hard at all with a 55. Also on that return line from the pump to the display, something that I always do is add a flow stop valve that can help tone down the return if its too much.
I know it's a lot but I hope this helps. There's a whole lot that goes into just plumbing a new tank. Making sure things are done right the first time in order to help in the long run.

Is there any issue with an overflow on a rimmed tank? That will still work right?

Yes of course, they are designed to work with both. There are a few designs for sumps and refugiums you can go with as well. Do some research and I would make your own. Much easier and probably 1/10 the price. In just finishing a 90 gallon Fuge and sump with different chambers for everything and its cost me around 75 bucks. The tank was only 45 and the glass and silicone was under 30 for everything. Would have been well over 500 bucks if I had one made and it would have to been custom.

Back
Top Bottom