what to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have setup my 29 gallon tank and it has been running for about 12 days and I have added some nice live rock to it. I have nothing fancy for it just what came in the box. So um. what should I get for it, I would like to have some colorful fish and a shrimp or two. Should I add any kind of coral more live rock? I only have two small live rock and gravel not sand (don't like sand so much) if I need the sand I can replace it later. I also have a soon to be empty 10 gallon tank with again what came with it. I am kind of new at this and am trying to read as much as I can. So what do I need

well, first, i would get some more lr (1.5 - 2 lbs per gal). think about a protein skimmer, and a ph or 2. after adding more lr, wait for it to cycle, and add a cleaning crew. if you want corals (about 6-9 months) youll have to upgrade lighting, which depends on the corals you want to keep.

What lights do you have now?
More lr is a good start, then you will need to cycle the tank before adding and inverts, fish or corals.
I would toss the gravel now before you get the tank set up. Gravel traps waste wich will cause water quality issues down the road. Sand is a much better substraight IMO.

Read, read and then read more before you start adding critters to the tank.
Test kits do you have any? which ones...

while cycling the tank, look into what corals you would like to keep, then upgrade your lighting to that. word of advise, wait until the tank is established before adding corals ( i would say 6-9 months to be on the safe side).

Back
Top Bottom