What to put in first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 6ft, 150 gallon cylinder aquarium just got filled today. Has an artificial reef going down center and Carribsee argonite live sand on the bottom. Filters to a live Fiji Rock box underneath. Going to let it run for a day to cycle, but want to get something in the tank. What are some good things to start with (I prefer more critters than fish).

thanks

Cycling takes MUCH more than a day, usually somewhere around a month. I wouldn't add any fish/inverts until then.

Yep, do you have a test kit? Go onto YouTube and go to "newyorksteelo". It's a channel, he has a great video on cycling.

Cycling takes MUCH more than a day, usually somewhere around a month. I wouldn't add any fish/inverts until then.

Thanks. I thought for the cycle period 2 complete, you needed to add a couple of fish etc. Maybe some damsel fish etc. Is that not true? I need to wait a month before putting anything in?

no you don't need to put fish, most of us actually agree not to. we think its better to add an ammonia source and cycle it liek that. its more humain

Gti_Leo said:
no you don't need to put fish, most of us actually agree not to. we think its better to add an ammonia source and cycle it liek that. its more humain

+1 and a good source is either pure unsented or a dead shrimp.

+1 and a good source is either pure unsented or a dead shrimp.

Thanks. Can it be a dead shrimp that you buy from the food stores (ready to eat)? Do I put that in my filter box that has the live rock in it?

You can put it in a small piece of pantyhose and just drop it in, place it on the ricks or on the sand. The panty hose is for when it breaks down and makes a mess, this way you can just pull it all out at once. :)

Please do a lot of research before adding a fish because in a tank that size it will be nearly impossible to get out. Unless I was going to have an aggressive tank I wouldn't put a damsel in it. While your tank is cycling figure out the fish list and what order would be best to put them in. Set up a qt tank as well you don't want to introduce any disease in your tank if you can help it. A lot of the other critters like anemone, clams,and sea stars have special needs like light, food and a well established tank.

Back
Top Bottom